Is this a Garmin map error?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Is this a Garmin map error?

Post by tombarrington »

When checking turn-by-turn directions for an upcoming trip I came across an anomaly that I am unable to correct. The route was created in BaseCamp, transferred to the Zumo XT's SD card, and then imported, where it shows the same result. In this case, I am coming from the south, making a left turn (up to Pike's Peak in Colorado), coming back down, and resuming the original direction by making another left turn. Instead of making this final left turn, however, BaseCamp has me crossing the highway, making a U-turn, and then resuming my journey with a right turn back onto the highway. I included a couple of images below to help clarify. The Google satellite view shows there is a lane for making my final left turn. Is the Garmin map (the latest City Navigator North America 2024.1) just not up to date here?

2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: Is this a Garmin map error?

Post by Peobody »

tombarrington wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:42 pm Is the Garmin map (the latest City Navigator North America 2024.1) just not up to date here?
That is what I think. I have seen similar and that is all I could figure out. I have used a Direct route point to force the route in the direction I want. In your case I would place a point on the downhill road just before the highway, another one on the highway just after the left, then set the first one as Direct. This will create a straight line between the two but it should not create a problem when navigating, especially because you will be aware of this route trickery.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Thank you for the confirmation. I thought I was proficient with BaseCamp but I've never run across a Direct route point or how to create one. Does this involve changing the Activity Profile or using a track? Thanks to this forum I've started under(over?)-laying tracks with my routes so I should be able to spot this instead of following the route directions blindly.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I think this image will be self-explanatory.
BC Direct route point.png
BC Direct route point.png (329.9 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Brilliant! Works perfectly on BaseCamp. Hopefully, it will show up the same on the Zumo. Thank you!

2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Wow, that turned out better than I expected. Please post back once you preview it on the XT.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Good news, the route didn't blow up! The route follows the same path shown in BaseCamp though there is no associated turn direction. This stands to reason, I suppose, since it is is a Direct route point and probably works similar to a track. I call this a win!

2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I don't know what this undescribed Direct point thing is supposed to do but what I get on both the XT and in Base Camp is my normal route up to the via point I designate a Direct, then a straight line from there to my next via/shaping point 40 miles down the road.

What I've been doing to meet the OP's criteria, "coming back down, and resuming the original direction by making another left turn" is make my route leaving out the point, in this case Pike's Peak. For me it's likely leaving the interstate to go to a gas station. I then use Base Camp's INSERT tool to insert my fuel stop. The route is now exit interstate, go to point, re-enter interstate and continue on route.

edit: and b/c it's a normal routing point I do get turn instructions. WIN!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:07 am I don't know what this undescribed Direct point thing is supposed to do but what I get on both the XT and in Base Camp is my normal route up to the via point I designate a Direct, then a straight line from there to my next via/shaping point 40 miles down the road.
The "Direct point thing" is indeed a straight line to the next point. In the case of the OP, and in the cases where I have used it, the points involved are close together. Surprisingly, the point that you set as "Direct" is not the one you are approaching, it is the one you are leaving. I wanted to post an image of an example but can't find the route that I recently used this on. The situation was a follows. The lunch stop was a restaurant that sat in between two roads. The map in BC showed it as only accessible from one of those roads even though its parking lot was accessible from both. I wanted to turn into the restaurant from one of the roads and then leave out on the other road. BC would not route it. The solution was to put a point at the entrance and another one on the road where I wanted to exit. Setting the entrance point as a Direct point created a straight line across the parking lot between the two points. The entrance point also served as my POI via point for the restaurant. I don't recall any issues with Direct points failing to alert. It is possible that navigation instruction may not be provided over the stretch that is considered not navigable. I ride with voice navigation turned off so would not have noticed.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Just tested the Direct Point today as shown in the route above (I’m the OP). As expected, there was no routing instruction but since the points were close together there was no off-route message either. This is a great solution to the occasional routing bugs that I see on long trips.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F