Mid trip, my Zumo XT shows my trip is 6699 hr 14min…

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ZebcoKid
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Mid trip, my Zumo XT shows my trip is 6699 hr 14min…

Post by ZebcoKid »

Hello All,

First post on this forum.

I just returned to the San Francisco Bay Area after a trip to the eastern Sierras.

All was going fine on the way there. On the way back this morning, I tapped “Where to” and then “Home”. The Zumo calculated the trip and provided the answer of 6,699 hours and 14 minutes. There was a burgundy line extending from my vehicle to somewhere off the west African coast (Nigeria).

I tried everything, changing various navigation preferences,vehicle types, off-route calculation preferences, etc. Nothing helped.

And, for what its worth…and to no surprise…there were no turn by turn offerings.

Any thoughts on what happened, or what I should do? This would not be good if I was in an unknown place.

Thank you.

David
IMG_3917.jpeg
IMG_3917.jpeg (407.07 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Attachments
IMG_3917.jpeg
IMG_3917.jpeg (407.07 KiB) Viewed 814 times
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Re: Mid trip, my Zumo XT shows my trip is 6699 hr 14min…

Post by jfheath »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is not something that I have seen myself, but I have seen two separate reports of this behaviour in the last couple of days.
The best suggestion that I have seen is that the Zumo is not getting an accurate fix of your current position.

Check the satellite status - long press the bar graph symbol, top left.
And check the accuracy of the calculated fix - tap the speed button bottom left of map view.

This would only be relevant if you looked as soon as you observe this behaviour.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

Thank you, JF Heath.

As I’m home now, and everything seems to be working, it’s been a curious event.

I figured out how to see the active satellites and position accuracy. (10 feet right now). Interestingly, it did know where I was, but couldn’t get me to my desired location (home). That being said, a trip to Africa sounds desirable as well!

Should this happen again, do you have a suggestion? Or, is it simply a, this is why situation…which is better than not knowing why, but not a solution.

Thank you for sticking with me on this.

Kindly,

David
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No, not really. I am winging it on this one. Ive seen similar oddities when the route has a weird short straight section added in. It doesn't navigate to it or acknowledge it. I've never had my screenshot button on the screen when I have seen it.

So that is probably the best I can offer. Have the screenshot button available so that you can capture it when it happens.

Create a folder on you computer eg "Odd long distance route" Save the screenshots, the gpx of the route, and the gpx current track log altogether in a dated subfolder. add a few notes, eg how the route was created eg on Xt, Basecamp, your route preferences etc on XT.
And forget about it until it happens again. Then do the same.

Eventually an idea forms about when it happens - which you are then able to predict. Once you can make it happen you are more than half way to a solution.

Do you have Explore enabled on your XT?
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

danham
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 97 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I have not had this happen on my XT, but had a few somewhat similar weird behaviors on previous GPSes. In one or two cases I was able to pin it to a very poor satellite reception, though not for the usual reasons such as trees, buildings, canyons. Instead, it was all about how the satellites were arranged in the sky. A "constellation" low on the horizon was the cause. I never got routed to Africa, but did find my vehicle icon on a road that was not lose to he one I was traveling on.

I'm trying to remember what the procedure was for forcing the GPS to reload the satellite almanac that tells it where to look for birds. That file could become corrupt and cause weirdness. Probably a factory reset.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

JF Heath,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by your question about “…explore enabled…”

I have Garmin explore on my phone and it is on the XT, and the two units talk to one another.

David
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

danham,

If I were to do a factory reset, would I lose all my treasured waypoints?

Thank you.

David
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

ZebcoKid wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:28 pm JF Heath,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by your question about “…explore enabled…”

I have Garmin explore on my phone and it is on the XT, and the two units talk to one another.

David
It sounds like you have Explore enabled, and the XT and phone are communicating through Garmin Drive on your phone.

If Explore is enabled, when you select Where To -> Explore you get a menu for tracks, waypoints, collections etc.

If Explore isn't enabled you get a screen that shows three symbols inviting you to set it up.

The menus and some of the behaviour of the XT changes if Explore is set up. So there is for example, a difference in the way you can make tracks appear in the screen depending in whether or not Explore is enabled on your XT.

The Explore App on your phone is just a stand-alone app. That doesn't talk to the XT. it talks to your account at Explore.Garmin.com using your dara / internet connection.

Garmin drive on your phone also talks to that account, and it us Drive that synchs the info between your XT. and your routes, tracks, collections and waypoints on the explore.garmin.com site.

You can access your map data using a pc or mac and a web browser.

For more info on this with pictures and examples, see here app.php/ZXT-P55

ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

Chief Inspector JF Heath,

You are one heck of a detective! Thank you. That is certainly what is going on. I’ll read the information and get it off my XT (I don’t need it there). Explore is really part of my InReach setup.

Thank you!

David
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

When the erroneous time appeared, was the displayed position and the 32 mile distance correct?