Mid trip, my Zumo XT shows my trip is 6699 hr 14min…

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ZebcoKid
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: Mid trip, my Zumo XT shows my trip is 6699 hr 14min…

Post by ZebcoKid »

No. I was 170 miles away.
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

JF Heath,

I came home from work and followed the instructions on your link - app.php/ZXT-P55 -

Everything went perfectly. Thank you!

By the way, the location that you get to, with the cautionary note, is cool, and really “seductive” to mess about.

Fortunately, I’ve matured, and will do only what I was told, and not “brick” the unit with curiosity.

Thanks again!

David
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Scottnet »

I have reported this to garmin. I have had several issues like this. They say its most likely bad signal. But no explanation of why the software behaves like this

In some circumstances a power off ( hold the off button for 30 seconds) has helped.

In other I have set it simulation mode on and the off again to force it try pick up a better GPS signal. I'm not sure this works but it did sort it out may have been coincidence.

Please report to garmin.
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

ZebcoKid wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:13 pm You are one heck of a detective! Thank you. That is certainly what is going on.
Thanks for the thumbs up - but it really just means that I managed to make all of the mistakes before anyone else.
ZebcoKid wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:31 am Fortunately, I’ve matured, and will do only what I was told, and not “brick” the unit with curiosity.
You must tell how you managed that one day. A skill that has eluded me.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

Scottnet,

I'm compelled to share an anecdote.

There were these scientists doing some tests with chickens. It was one of those testing situations where if they did something correctly, a pellet of food would be dispensed.

They set up the experiment for the weekend, and went home. Apparently, the setup malfunctioned, and the pellets of food were being distributed randomly and erratically. Of course, the chickens didn't know that.

Instead, the chickens developed these elaborate dances, turning, jumping, flapping, pecking, etc., and associating the receipt of a pellet as validation of the particular moves they had been making.

I suppose this is a story of cause verse correlation. Tough to solve the problems when we don't actually know the problem.

Me personally....well, I have a pretty good size bucket of water. When in doubt, I just dunk the object in the water and see what happens!

Thank you for your ideas.

Kindly,

David
mikeyk101
United States of America

Post by mikeyk101 »

I have lurked this forum for quite some time but finally registered. The thread title caught my eye as I had a similar experience in mid Apr. I was in Rogers Arkansas and was figuring out my route from there to Hannibal Missouri. I was just using the XT directly to figure out the choices. First I wanted to see adventurous routes and this is what it gave me.
Screenshot_20230426_212110_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230426_212110_Gallery.jpg (108.27 KiB) Viewed 538 times
That kind of surprised me... Next I tried just letting it create a regular route. Choice 1 was reasonable but choice 2 had me traveling to Western Africa and then back
Screenshot_20230426_211815_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230426_211815_Gallery.jpg (140.76 KiB) Viewed 538 times
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

Too bad we don’t get free airline tickets and shipping with our Zuni purchase. Seems like a nice adventure!