Routes up ahead

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
RedzDave
Great Britain

Routes up ahead

Post by RedzDave »

This subject has been touched on before but is not completely clear,
On the side menu places up ahead 3 options is it possible to customise it to show the next 3 petrol stations, it may show the next one as 10 miles ahead but I would like to know if I can miss it and go for the next one without having to start searching through a list. It would be good to see the next 3 on route at a glance.
Thank you
Dave
1978 Honda CBX1000z
1974 Suzuki GT750m
1974 Triumph Stag
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Re: Routes up ahead

Post by FrankB »

I have been looking for that too, but unable to find. My workaround is to show 'Fuel stations' on the map, via 'Map Layers'. I agree that it clutters the map, but it's the best I could find.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 740 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum @RedzDave

Let me think out loud to understand this correctly. I know that you will have done this otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question, but it helps me to check.

You have turned on Up ahead places in Settings->Map&Vehicle->Map Layers
In that screen you have clicked the arrowhead that allows you to select 3 categories. One of these is petrol stations. Others include safety cameras, restaurants, attractions, parking, ...... There is a big green plus sign alongside to allow you to select.

• Here's the first thing I don't understand. You said you can select 3 petrol stations ?
    This screen allows you to select a category just once.

Back to the map display.

You can click the 3 dot menu in the bottom right hand corner with the XT in landscape view.
When you do that, you can select 'Up Ahead' . and this shows the 3 categories that you selected in the Map Layers screen previously.

Even without this right hand menu displayed, the items that you have selected should litter the screen with annoying green icons to mark the location of your up ahead places. Mine isn't doing this at the moment. I don't know why. Perhaps I need to be moving.

With the right hand menu displayed, the single Petrol Entry shows the brand (eg Shell) the distance and an arrowhead to indicate which side of your route the petrol is located. If you choose to ignore it, then thats ok, it will show the next one that it finds.

If you tap on it, the screen shows a list of all if the petrol stations in order of distance. It groups them into sections of your route.
This list is dynamic - it changes as you ride along. The distances get closer. If you go past them they disappear from the list.
If you want to visit one of them, you tap on the one that you want, and you can add it to your active route. You really need to be stopped to do this.

All of the above is with the route loaded and active. It is looking for petrol stations close to your route ahead.

There is another way.

Where To-> Categories->Petrol Stations

This shows a dynamic list of petrol relative to your current position no matter which direction, closest first. It shows the distance and direction. It updates as you drive along. It shows three on the landscape screen, but the list is scrollable.

You can then modify this by tapping the map icon in the top right to show these plotted on a map, or the teardrop icon in the top left to select other search options eg near to my active route, near to my destination, upcoming exits etc etc.

If you add it to your route then it is usually added as a Via Point, and your route will be modified. As a Via, you have to visit it, or select Skip to ignore it.

I'll come back and illustrate this later.

Good question. I'm not sure that I have answered what you were asking, because I cannot get a screen that matches what I think you are saying. The above may clarify. But keep asking until I can see what you see !
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Rofor
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@RedzDave and @jfheath
I think, i know what he means as i would also be glad if the Zumo XT and the newer ones would allow this - but i fear, that this is not possible!

What i was looking for is the following - you can enter via the three-dot-menu three categories of POIs, which will be shown on the right side of the map screen. What i would like do to was entering two times 'Fuel Stations', so that the first entry shows the next fuel station on the route and the second one the next one after the first one - @RedzDave - did i get it right?

For me, this would be ideal on a longer tour, so that i could see if i had to take the next fuel station or if i could drive along to the second-next one...

Sadly as far as i know, this is not possible as you can only add a category once - i think at the older zumo 595 you could add it more than once, but they all showed the same information - only the next fuel station!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:57 am
  • Here's the first thing I don't understand. You said you can select 3 petrol stations ?
    This screen allows you to select a category just once.
No, I did not read his post as you apparently did. He said,

"... is it possible to customise it to show the next 3 petrol stations" and "It would be good to see the next 3 on route at a glance."
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
RedzDave
Great Britain

Post by RedzDave »

That's exactly it, I would like to know if I can continue to a 2nd or 3rd station on a list, at the moment with only the next petrol station listed and two other items of no interest I may pass the petrol station and it then updates to the next beyond my range.
Thanks for all your inputs, I will try some of the alternative suggestions.
1978 Honda CBX1000z
1974 Suzuki GT750m
1974 Triumph Stag
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 740 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It is not possible to show the side bar with the next 3 petrol stations, because you have to select 3 (and exactly 3) different categories. So Petrol stations can appear only once - in the sidebar.

Up Ahead 0.png
Up Ahead 0.png (107.6 KiB) Viewed 982 times

So in the above screenshot, I have turned on 'Up Ahead Places' but I have no option but to select 3 different categories. In this case I selected Petrol Stations, Banks & Cashpoints, Restaurants. I do have control of the order in which they appear - so Petrol is at the top. In this case Shell is 0.3 miles ahead somehwere to my left. The icon is shown on the map - centre.

I read the first post as 'it is possible to show the next 3 petrol stations' - which is why I was confused. Either I misread it, or it was an error that has been corrected. Probably I mis-read it.

But because I knew that it was not possible to show 3 petrol stations on the display, that prompted me to continue with the ways in which you can show the next few petrol stations. One such way is to return to the main screen - with your route still running - and select 'Where To'. Select Categories and then choose Petrol Stations.

The following display appears. I've turned the XT into portrait view this time - it only gives one more row, but it is scrollable.

This list is dynamic - it is constantly updating as you ride, and you can turn back to the map at any time.
UpAhead 2.png
UpAhead 2.png (37.04 KiB) Viewed 982 times

Because there is a route running, the display is related to your route.
Near Townhead - shows a petrol station 0.7 miles away off route to the right.
Murco is a petrol station on my route 8.1 miles ahead
Coral is a station 8.4 miles ahead, off route to my right.

This display only shows petrol stations that are ahead on your route. It will not show any that you have just passed.

You get a different display if there isn't a route active.

Up Ahead 4.png
Up Ahead 4.png (32.38 KiB) Viewed 982 times

In this case the display is relative to your current position, and indicates with an arrow in which way you need to head in order to get to the fuel.

-----------------------

With up ahead places turned on, then icons pop up on the map to indicate the location of the 3 categories that you have selected. I have turned the side bar menu off for this screen shot.
Up Ahead 3.png
Up Ahead 3.png (152.3 KiB) Viewed 982 times

In this case there are no petrol stations except for one just off the top of the map, but you can see the banks and restaurants cluttering up the screen. I was well off route on this occasion - you can see the route U turning me off the bottom of the screen.

--------------------------

With any map or list, you can select the item or icon that you want to get to and add it to your existing route - so that it will navigate you there.

The items in the list are just there for information - the satnav will not navigate you to them unless you specifically ask it to. If you ride past, they disappear from view and are repalced with others. The lists can be scrolled a long way ahead. On the one that I have just tried - it found all petrol stations close to my route up to the end - 110 miles ahead.

If you tap on any item in the list, a display like this one below shows up.

Up Ahead 5.png
Up Ahead 5.png (37.86 KiB) Viewed 982 times

If you tap the information icon (i), then it shows a map inset, showing that section of your route and where the petrol station is in relation to the route. The information screen also shows your arrival time , distance and how long it will take to reach it - along with the address and phone number. If you want to add it to the route, select 'Go'. If not, just return to the list.

One final thing. If you don't want the other two categories cluttering up your map, the answer is pretty simple. So simple that it took me 4 different satnavs to come up with a solution ! You have to choose three categories to show in up ahead places. Your Favourites will also show up, but only if you have up ahead places turned on - so it will also show up the other three categories.

But 'Petrol Stations' is actually a search of the database for any data that belongs tot he 'Petrol Stations' category - and you can create your own custom searches to show up on the right hand side. So I have three additonal searches created. Abcd, Efgh and Wxyz. Assign an icon to each search category. And it never finds any of those to show on the map !! I don't know how long it spends searching for data that doesn't exist, but I haven't noticed any issues by doing this.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
RedzDave
Great Britain

Post by RedzDave »

That's really helpful, thankyou for your time and detailed explanation, I shall go home and play with the satnav. I have a trip to Norway planned, everyone following me on bikes that have a 130mile range per tank, so that's why it's a concern
Dave
1978 Honda CBX1000z
1974 Suzuki GT750m
1974 Triumph Stag
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Maybe I missed mention of this...

When the sidebar is displayed it shows the closest item in each category. Tapping one of those items will bring up the search list for that category ordered by distance. So, tap the three-dot button > Up Ahead > Category.

Caveat: Don't trust the distances shown to any Foursquare items. They are terribly inaccurate. I have disabled the Foursquare map because of this.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:44 pm But because I knew that it was not possible to show 3 petrol stations on the display, that prompted me to continue with the ways in which you can show the next few petrol stations. One such way is to return to the main screen - with your route still running - and select 'Where To'. Select Categories and then choose Petrol Stations.

The following display appears. I've turned the XT into portrait view this time - it only gives one more row, but it is scrollable.

This list is dynamic - it is constantly updating as you ride, and you can turn back to the map at any time.

UpAhead 2.png

Because there is a route running, the display is related to your route.
Near Townhead - shows a petrol station 0.7 miles away off route to the right.
Murco is a petrol station on my route 8.1 miles ahead
Coral is a station 8.4 miles ahead, off route to my right.

This display only shows petrol stations that are ahead on your route. It will not show any that you have just passed.

You get a different display if there isn't a route active.

Up Ahead 4.png

In this case the display is relative to your current position, and indicates with an arrow in which way you need to head in order to get to the fuel.
This is the way I do it while a route is active. One, as mentioned, it's dynamic. It updates as I'm moving. Two, if I touch the one I want to stop at, the XT gives me the choice to add it as a point in my route so no leaving the route and no recalculating.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A