Planning (simple) point-to-point route in zumoXT or in Myrouteapp?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Mikul
Has liked: 7 times
Poland

Planning (simple) point-to-point route in zumoXT or in Myrouteapp?

Post by Mikul »

Hi, I did 8300 kilometers with Zumo XT in July around Europe. I planned Hotel-Hotel (simple) routes in myrouteapp and sent them to XT before starting the next day the trip. I didn't insert any waypoints, no stops, wouldn't it be easier to just enter the destination in Zumo XT and go? Now I ask myself this question, what do you think?
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Planning (simple) point-to-point route in zumoXT or in Myrouteapp?

Post by Fxwheels »

If you don't mind the route it gives you and works for you, then why not.
But, if you want to have a specific roads you want to ride thru, then you need shaping points.
rbentnail
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 207 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

https://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtop ... lit=screen

Another forum where I described how to make a route on the device itself. I described the 595 model specifically but the XT is the same. Starts on page 2.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lkraus
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 122 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Start using the XT for your normal, everyday, local trips. It will route you to the destination, but I think you will quickly see that it does not pick roads you would select using your local knowledge. The routes will not be the quickest, nor shortest, nor efficient at avoiding traffic delays.

After using the XT locally, I have no confidence in longer routes it creates until I've checked them against Basecamp or Google Maps.
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 91 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

lkraus wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:33 pm Start using the XT for your normal, everyday, local trips. It will route you to the destination, but I think you will quickly see that it does not pick roads you would select using your local knowledge. The routes will not be the quickest, nor shortest, nor efficient at avoiding traffic delays.

After using the XT locally, I have no confidence in longer routes it creates until I've checked them against Basecamp or Google Maps.
To this good advice, I'd add that if the XT recalculates a route it chose (as opposed to pre-planned by you), it can really butcher your trip. This can also happen with a pre-planned route, but the problem is much easier to deal with if you have deployed shaping points and uploaded a track of your route to display along with it -- none of which can really be done if the XT does the routing for you.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Mikul
Has liked: 7 times
Poland

Post by Mikul »

Thanks for all the answers, I am an experienced Gamin user for many years, I can use Mapsurce, Basecamp and Myrouteapp without any problems. Now, after returning from the 2023 trip and planning 17 routes in each of the next hotels, I come to the conclusion that I did not need to log in to MRA because it was enough to enter the address or name of the next hotel in XT (or Drive) check if route is inwith my preferences (possibly add Shaping Points) and go.
The last two routes designed in MRA, before setting off I compared them with those made in ZUMO, they were the same. And now I think that I could devote the time spent at the MRA to sightseeing, it was a lot because the trip lasted 34 days and we did 8400 km with my wife.

PS.
do you use the nearest entry point for routes designed in MRA? The routes were designed point-to-point (the exact addresses of the Hotel) without shifting in the direction of travel, As I did and only in Paris it did not work as I expected.
EDIT this may be important, I work on firmware 2.90 :D , I have the latest maps.