Routes failing to import

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Re: Routes failing to import

Post by FrankB »

Oop North John wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:05 am [Looking for the trips in the "Systems" file, I don't see it in my internal drive, only in the external when I have the SD card installed, is the system folder a hidden one?
It sure is hidden. This page app.php/ZXT-P84 shows you how you can make it visible.
Having said that, I think the XT will stil work if you dont delete them. It's just something I would clean up.
Rofor
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@FrankB
FrankB wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:49 am Conclusion: It might be as simple as "You cannot have multiple Via points in a route with the same name."
Hmmmm - maybe you've trapped an error(?), which often occurs in the last months! There where so many postings with 'could not import this route' in many of the navigation-based forums.

It seems logical, when thinking about how Basecamp handel the names of points in his database - no two points with the same name are allowed! Thinking about this import-problem, this now makes more sense!

This are the problems to avoid when using third-party-sources of routes and tracks...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Rofor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:11 am This are the problems to avoid when using third-party-sources of routes and tracks...
I do agree with your statement about 'using third-party-sources'. But in this case It was reproducible with Basecamp. First create a Waypoint, and then use that same Waypoint twice in a route as a Viapoint. No combination of Exporting, Importing, recalculating in Basecamp fixed it.

I am unsure if this is an error in Basecamp or in the XT. May be try it on some different models (like the 595) and see what happens.
Rofor
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Oh, maybe i've misunderstood that!?
Was the same point used twice or where there two different points with the same name used?
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Rofor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:28 am Was the same point used twice or where there two different points with the same name used?
The same point was used twice. The GPX files posted will show you.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 740 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Frank had already sorted this out before I got to read it - but it intrigued me anyway, so I tried a few things.

The original route transfers but will not import.

I took a copy into Basecamp and moved all of the points that were off road, onto the road - wondering if that was an issue.
In doing this, Basecamp asked if I wanted to duplicate the route points as well. Yes I ddi, becasue I was going to move them, and it would have moved the originals too. That roue transferred and imported perfectly Ok - but that was becasue it renamed all of the points 'Whatever 2'. Except Queens View for which it created Queens View 2 and Queens View 3. That imported perfectly well.

I renamed the route and created a GPX file and emailed that to my mobile phone and transferred that across. The XT told me it had imported a new route, but it wasn't there - according to the XT. But the gpx files was still there in Internal Storage / GPX folder.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Trip files in .System - there is one for each route - contain a flag to say don't bother loading this - it has a fault. But I had a look and I cannot spot anything.

It seems as though it just aborts when it comes across the same Waypoint in a different location.
Which is odd - I've often done that. At least, I think that I have.

----------------

.System file - Access the hidden system menu on the XT - long press the circular speedo after tapping the speed button onthe map.
Configuration and Settings
MTP settings -> Show .System.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC