Weird Routing Behaviour - Major Success.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 740 times
Great Britain

Re: Weird Routing Behaviour - Major Success.

Post by jfheath »

I did some checks last night. The same issue crops up if I load the original route from Basecamp (not nobbled), and then force it to recalculate by skipping the first point of the route.

So it has nothing whatsoever to do with this nobbled route.

I've just posted three odd behaviours I have come across recently. Here viewtopic.php?t=2312
The top one is the one to which this refers.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Another snippet of very useful information that I stumbled across in another forum that I do not frequent, but occasionally some mentions my name and I am alerted to it.

This is to do with the method of dealing with imported routes, which we now know under certain circumstances will begin re-routing - apparently back to the point of deviation. In fact it is re-routing to the closest point on its own recalculated route - which is usually 100 yards behind you !

A number of solutions exist. Create the route on the XT being one. Nobble the 'mImported' byte in the appropriate Trip file in the .System folder using either a Hex Editor, or the Java, Delphi or C++ tools that @Frankb created for us. This makes the route appear in the same 'Saved' category as routes that are created on the XT and consequently, so far, do not display this annoying Repeated U Turn behaviour.

But there seems to be another way that you can make a route appear in the saved list using just your XT. I have yet to find the first person who associated this technique with the RUT behaviour. I have found a few who have mentioned it, but credit ought to go to whoever spotted this as a solution.

It's really very simple.

Load the imported route and set it running.
It is best to do this when you are at or near the start, or have set a simulated location. See below.

Go to Trip Planner -> Saved Trips -> My Active Route
Press the 'Save' button.
Give it a name eg Same name preceded by an asterisk.

The saved route appears in the saved list.

But note that if you were not at the start of the route when you did this, the route will include the section that the XT calculated to get you to the start. However, it starts the route at 'coordinates' and lists the original route start as the first Via Point, so you simply select the first Via Point as the next destination as you would anyway.

I have not yet verified the behaviour on my previous test routes, but I will. The other forum says that it works ... but ....

This is something that can be easily carried out on the night before each day trip.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:06 pm Go to Trip Planner -> Saved Trips -> My Active Route
Press the 'Save' button.
Give it a name eg Same name preceded by an asterisk.
@jfheath Indeed that's useful info, but I did add that remark on May 30. After @Stu mentioned it.
viewtopic.php?t=2301
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

FrankB wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:30 pm
@jfheath Indeed that's useful info, but I did add that remark on May 30. After @Stu mentioned it.
viewtopic.php?t=2301
Sorry @FrankB I missed that addition - I was away touring end of May / start of June and hadn't spotted that Modification. I was still making one off comments in odd moments while away but not much else.

At some point, I was aware of the possibility of saving a route on the XT screen and then couldn't find the option - not realising at the time that the route needs to be loaded and active before you can save it. Then I forgot about it. Still, the observation is worth keeping in this thread.
----
i noticed that I made a comment about the discovery elsewhere. I don't remember making that!

Odd thing about brains and how it stores its information, attaching it to nodes in the neural net, and then reorganising it to make sense when dreaming....

I have noticed a few times that stuff gets organised into the wrong place. I seem to have a category that is labelled 'been there, done that, it didn't work at the time, need to look at it again sometime'.

Unfortunately, this seems to have attached itself to the node which is linked to where the 'forget it, nothing to see here, move on' stuff is stored. A mental rubbish bin.

So a few times recently I have noticed that I the things that I have thought - I will come back to this - I forget, and it as if it had never happened. So Ive recently resorted to flip-book type notebooks to jot things down, to bring those thoughts back to life.

Having written this down on here, and identified my brains misfiling of information, (or me not giving it enough clues to store it properly) I wonder if I'll now have a pretty wild vivid dream involving all of those nodes, and wake up remembering stuff that has been misfiled in the rubbish bin. It wouldn't surprise me

FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:08 am [Sorry @FrankB I missed that addition - I was away touring end of May / start of June and hadn't spotted that Modification. I was still making one off comments in odd moments while away but not much else.
No need to say sorry John. In fact this morning I reread my post, and thought 'Maybe I should have chosen my words more carefully'. So I would be the one to say sorry. What's more: I had forgotten all about this post: viewtopic.php?t=2323. So I'm not any better than you!
Apox
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Apox »

These tricks viewtopic.php?t=2323 worked perfectly! The device reroutes significantly better when leaving the planned route than not on "fixed" routes. This has been confirmed just by testing the same route by driving on the original and fixed route. I repeated the same drives past the points both times and the fixed routes routed the new route to the next point significantly faster.

Definitely the easiest way to fix the route is to edit the route on the device after importing the route. It's quick to do after all.