Adding a location to an active Saved Trip

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Fat Albert
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Adding a location to an active Saved Trip

Post by Fat Albert »

Hi all, I’m new to the Zumo XT having upgraded from a Zumo 660. Slowly getting to grips with the many improvements, but there seem to be some glaring omissions.
If you plan a route from the Where To screen, and along the route want to route to a POI, say a café or fuel stop, you are given a few options to add that point to the current route. However, if you’re navigating from a Saved Trip and want/need to go via an intermediate location those options don’t appear, and the route you were navigating is dumped if you chose Go for that POI. Garmin tell me this is normal, but it seems daft as on a long trip or tour you might want to do this quite often. Am I missing something or is this just the way the software works?
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 91 times
United States of America

Re: Adding a location to an active Saved Trip

Post by danham »

I just tried this on my XT and when I have a Saved Trip active and go back to the Where To screen and select a saved Favorite, when I press Go it asks me if I want to Start New Route, Add as Next Stop, Add as Last Stop, or Add to Active route. If I choose the latter, it takes me to a screen where I can pick where in the active route the new stop appears.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
rbentnail
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 206 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Fat Albert wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:52 pm However, if you’re navigating from a Saved Trip and want/need to go via an intermediate location those options don’t appear, and the route you were navigating is dumped if you chose Go for that POI.
I have seen none of this. My experience:

I create a route with Base Camp. I transfer the route to my XT SD card. I import the route. I start the route on the device and follow it for a while. From here I generally do a couple different things, always with the same results. I choose Back arrow, bottom left. Then Where To, Categories and a selection like a gas station. I'm given several options and choose Add As Next Stop. The remainder of the route stays the same, but my chosen gas station is the next point in my route.

I can do the same thing with exactly the same results by touching the map, scrolling and zooming to pick a point and then the same menu items come up. I then Add as Next Stop and the remainder of the route stays the same. Except of course to and from that point.

eta: looks like danham & I were typing at the same time. And getting much the same results!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Fat Albert
Great Britain

Post by Fat Albert »

Thanks for the replies, and it seems I am the odd one out. I import my routes from MyRouteApp as GPX 1.1 track and POI only. Perhaps it’s because I don’t import waypoints as well? I’ll give that a go and see if that works.
raesewell
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

In MRA import as GPX 1.1 (Route, Track, POI) That should work for you.
Fat Albert
Great Britain

Post by Fat Albert »

Thanks Raesewell, this agrees with my wee experiment yesterday.
Last night I did a short indoor test using the GPS simulator. It seems that if you import the trip as a gpx1.1 track and POI, as Garmin recommend to avoid straight lines, you do not get the option to add a new location as start, finish, add to route etc - when you ask the XT to go to a new POI or location, by whatever means. After you hit GO it routes to that location and dumps the original route.
However, if you import route, track and POI then the usual options for where to add an intermediate point do appear after hitting GO. The route preview does not show any straight lines at this point, on the device, or in Explore. So fingers crossed it all works for my trip to Austria at the end of the week !