How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
DavidR
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Re: How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

Post by DavidR »

I've now done some miles with the replacement unit and it does not exhibit the problematical Tripadvisor spam behavior so the issue I was experiencing must have been related to my specific unit.

I'll post an update when I've done some more miles, but so far the new unit has been fine.

A question I can't answer though is what was wrong with the old unit: Two possibilities-

1. It was a bad unit. This would explain my issue but not simillar issues experienced by other XT2 users.

OR

2. It was an early unit with a "bleeding edge" sw/hw issue. In which case it would affect other "early adopters" and perhaps also qualify them for new exchange units.
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Re: How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for posting the update @DavidR

I wonder if you would mind posting various version info - obtained from Settings->Device->About

Oops - XT comment.
Mine was replaced Dec 2022 when they thought RUT behaviour may have been due to a previously replaced unit with a refurbed one.

3 Dec 2022.
Hardware v9 Pv3 DT R512S
Software 6.50
GPS Firmware 9.00.37
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jures
Been liked: 2 times
Slovenia

Post by jures »

I still face the TA spam during arrival….
DavidR
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by DavidR »

JFHEATH >

My replaced Zumo XT2 device data profile:

Hardware Version - V9 Pv3 DT R512D WB
Software Version - 4.40
Michelin Green Guide - 2023:27.20
Audio Version - 2.20
Text Version - 2.00
GPS Firmware - 2.45.00
Bluetooth Firmware - 1067.1127
TSC Version - 300.171.220
Tripadvisor - 2023 (no version)

Whats more difficult to describe/explain is that the unit "feels" more stable as it does not seem to be susceptible to glitches - bit like coding, when it's (finally) right it just feels stable.

JURES >
I suggest that you ask Garmin to replace the unit. If you can r each Paul at the Garmin Outdoor Helpdesk Europe he should immediately recognise the issue. (I sent you a PM with the email address and the case number)

D
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by AugustFalcon »

Perhaps it is the new V9 hardware.

FWIW, I ordered my XT2 from the Amazon USA Garmin Store on 29 May 2023 and its hardware is at V8 with all the subsequent numbers following being the same as listed above. With regard to the rest of your info everything whose name matches seems to be the same.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

jfheath wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:02 am Thanks for posting the update @DavidR

I wonder if you would mind posting various version info - obtained from Settings->Device->About

Mine was replaced Dec 2022 when they thought RUT behaviour may have been due to a previously replaced unit with a refurbed one.

3 Dec 2022.
Hardware v9 Pv3 DT R512S
Software 6.50
GPS Firmware 9.00.37
I'm a little confused here about which devices we are comparing. Was it your XT that was replaced last December, or an XT2?
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thank @Larry. A very politely put way of saying 'You bumbling idiot"

Yes I am talking XT. I've yet to set eyes on an XT2.

Sorry folks - I'll annotate the irrelevant post.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Kokkie
Has liked: 1 time
Netherlands

Post by Kokkie »

From another (Dutch) Forum and user (RonaldR):
After I saw Trip-Advisor pop-up, I stopped and looked at the pop-up.
Somewhere, via selections in the pop-up, there was an option to set filters.
There were 3 of 11 filter options selected, exactly the ones I get after a trip.
I de-selected the 3 options and never got the pop-up again.

On the other hand, I am not able to find how to re-select the options, cause the pop-up doesn't appear again. But....who cares... :D
Mike
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum !

I believe that the filter that you selected may be the one in Tread app.

Tread App -> 3 bar menu -> Settings -> Smart Notifications

I read somewhere to do this and I turned everything off except messages. I haven't noticed trip advisor since - but I haven't being paying attention to that. And I haven't tested it. The choices on my android are:

Alerts, Email, Incidents, Messages, Reminders, Social, Other.

From experiments with my ipad and Drive on the Zumo XT1 - the apple implementation did not have the detailed filtering that is available on the Android. I don't know if that is the case with Tread. Contrary to my commetn above In October, I do now have an XT2.

Kokkie
Has liked: 1 time
Netherlands

Post by Kokkie »

Thanks Jfheath... :D

That could work indeed, however also not tested, and wondering what more would be missed by de-selecting "Other".
Anyway, I trust one of these solutions will help.

Great forum, and I will share your solution here in The Netherlands as well

Mike