Well there's only so much space so some languages won't fit
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Re: The issue of incomplete display of distance units

Post by lkraus »

sussamb wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:07 pm Well there's only so much space so some languages won't fit
Perhaps, but the Chinese version is not being given "only so much" space , it is being given LESS.
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well less for one field and more for the other. I suspect there can be very long descriptions potentially in the second field so Garmin, from the comments made, elected to risk issues in the first field rather than the second. The OP though has had the answer from Garmin so little point in worrying about it.
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

sussamb wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:47 am The OP though has had the answer from Garmin so little point in worrying about it.
Not being a native English speaker, but I would say the OP had a 'reply', not an 'answer'.

Off-topic: In the past I was involved in programming multi-language. How it usually works is that the programmer creates and tests the program in (US) English. The texts used are sent to 3rd party translation companies, who generally have no knowledge of the program in which the texts are used. Seldom the programmer review the results, especially when characters are used that the programmer does not know.
This is why, although my native language is Dutch, my XT is set to US-English. I believe it looks better then Dutch.

@shixuyang
I would advice you, if your English skills allow it, to also set the XT to English.

If your not afraid of editing XML files on the XT, you could try to make changes yourself to the translation files. They are located in the XT on:
Internal Storage\Text\zh_CN.* (I can not verify 100 % because the characters are meaningless to me)

Warnings:
- PLEASE make a backup first.
- Your modifications will probably be overwritten if there's an update.
shixuyang
Been liked: 3 times
China

Post by shixuyang »

Thank you for your suggestion. I have brought good news. After continuous attempts, I have finally found a solution in "zh_CN. glx" ,due to a translation error that caused the problem.
b09c8aa586bba00955d17c76d597d89.jpg
b09c8aa586bba00955d17c76d597d89.jpg (232.54 KiB) Viewed 558 times
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@shixuyang
Excellent work from you!

Too bad Garmin did not want to look into your problem.

It would be great if other people could benefit from your solution. I fear reporting the solution to Garmin will not result in an update for the XT.
Is there a Chinese version of 'ZumoUserForums'?

Please backup your modifications, because in the unlikely event of a new Firmware for the XT they can get lost.
shixuyang
Been liked: 3 times
China

Post by shixuyang »

In China, the Garmin Navigator has not been updated for a long time, including the Zumo series. My Zumo XT was purchased in the United States, which may be the reason why Garmin is unwilling to handle the issue.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Ah. That explains a lot.
If I could read Chinese characters I would be interested in your modifications. But it would be a mystery to me.

Good luck.