That little red line.....and the disappearing detour button.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ZebcoKid
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

That little red line.....and the disappearing detour button.

Post by ZebcoKid »

Hello All,

I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome. I have a couple more questions about the behavior of my Zumo XT.

Just back from 8 days in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah on a motorcycle adventure.

Two things happen that I don't understand.

First: There is a little red line that appears when I'm riding/driving that seems to extend from where I am to some location from where I have been. I am not sure what this is supposed to be communicating. I have attached a picture.

Second: I have elected to have the detour button (shown in the picture) on my screen. Sometimes it is there, and sometimes it is not. What drives that appearance and disappearance?

Thank you.

David
IMG_4794.jpeg
IMG_4794.jpeg (223.48 KiB) Viewed 489 times
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Re: That little red line.....and the disappearing detour button.

Post by jfheath »

Hi David.

No. You are not wearing out your welcome ! Its nice to have some challenging questions.

The first one - the red line. I really don't have a clue. I haven't seen that before. Does it move as you move ? What sort if magenta line are you navigation

A route prepared in (say) Basecamp and transferred in to the trip plannerex
A track that you have selected and then pressed Go!
A track converted to a trip

[edit]

The only times I have seen anything like this is when loading a track and saying 'Go!'. you get no nav instructions but if you stray from the course, you get a dotted line to the closest point. But you have to be off route, and you are not.

Perhaps with a different theme it would show up as red.

The sort if thing I am describing is shown here.
https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P45
----

The double headed arrow button on the right, is the Edit Route button. Among other things it allows you to skip the next destination (via point) and / or the nex shaping point. But annoyingly, doesn't tell you which comes first. It appears whenever there is a route active.

It can also be seen by pressing the 3 dot menu in the top blue banner of the screen that pops up.

Also, it is configurable. When it is visible, tap and hold the icon. Up to 3 buttons can be placed on the right of the screen. Skip is a favourite for me at present because of all of the testing that I have been doing. But you can bin the ones you don't want, and use the plus button to add others. But some of these show up only when available. eg Skip will not show, if there only route point ahead is the end point.

If it is appearing and disappearing at other times. ... again, I don't know. It will not show up if another tool is displayed on the screen - eg the music player, the trip data. You generally have to close those down with the X Button, bottom right befire you can see it. Sometimes other info like traffic and route info pops up on the right of the screen, obscuring it.

Feed back with more info. I'm intrigued !

-----------------------------

[edit] [again]

I've just been looking into this. My XT has always had the buttons there - so I thought I'd delete them. And I forgot how to put them back !
I couldn't find it anywhere - so I did a search - and found one of my own posts on this very topic from 18 months ago - here:

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... 8&start=10

To put them back when there aren't any buttons there already, tap the 3 dot menu, then select the spanner / wrench icon, top left.
There are three + buttons on the map screen to configure.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC