Not recognising the SD Card

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Not recognising the SD Card

Post by AugustFalcon »

jfheath wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:56 pm ...Be aware that if you have a lot of mp3 files, it can take the Zumo a long time to process them...
FWIW, I have about 1,760 music files totaling around 9.8 GB on my 32 GB SD card. Haven't noticed any significant slow down on my XT2 nor do I remember any on my XT which has the same music file set.

Perhaps the OP could try hooking his XT2 up to his computer and see if the file manager shows the SD card
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I replace the about 16 Gb of mp3 files on my XT's SD card from time to time. It loads slowly the first time I restart, I think because it is re-indexing the contents of the mp3 folder, but subsequent starts are not not delayed.
Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - it was the processing of the files when they are first loaded to which I was referring - as the OP indicated that the XT wasn't finding any - so I assumed that this is his first attempt. It is possible that the files are still being 'processed' if there are a lot. The trick is to put one mp3 file into the MP3 folder, and make sure that the Zumo can see that first.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Rocket2500
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Rocket2500 »

Problem now fully solved.

By chance it was not me but a friend who suggested that it was critical the folder containing the MP3 songs stored in the SD Card were in a folder called “MP3”. There is as you know, a folder already set up in the internal memory called that and it’s this that the unit looks for. It does not matter if it’s internal or on the SD card, what’s it’s called is the key.

We loaded the card called “MP3” with songs and deleted everything in the internal memory folder on the unit also called the same. It found the songs immediately and worked fine. To prove a point, we then took the card out and called it “Music”, put it back and it found nothing.

We then took the card out, loaded songs into the internal “MP3” folder and it found those immediately too.

Finally, put the card back in so there were two sources of files both under the folder name “MP3” but the SD card had only two songs, neither of which were in the internal memory. When we searched for songs we found both the internal and the SD card files.

Upshot of this to me is Garmin should detail this more clearly in their manual and not assume we know what they know. Even after an hour on the phone to Garmin support, they didn’t know this either.

Thanks to everyone who took the time and thought to post advice, it was greatly appreciated.