School Alert

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BMWR1150R
United States of America

School Alert

Post by BMWR1150R »

I have turned off all alerts but the XT continues to alert schools. How do I stop this alert?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: School Alert

Post by Peobody »

I have asked the same question and have spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. I have not found a way.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

IIRC I had to go to Driver Assistance section and disable or untick nearly everything. The only thing I left ticked is Route preview. And scroll down to Proximity Alerts/Audio and turn that off.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have all rider alerts disabled and everything else except Route Preview is off in Driver Assistance but this hasn't stopped school alerts. The weird thing is that there is a School option under Rider Alerts but having that off doesn't stop the alert. Note the the XT does not have a proximity alert item in its menu by default. IIIRC, it appears when a custom POI file with proximity configured is added to the XT. There is then a way to change the tone from a double to a single but not that is all. BTW, a Garmin 'single' is a double bong.
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmmm. I have never encountered this. It may be a USA thing like the helmet warning which I never had.

Try switching from USA to UK, see if that fixes it.

Maybe we have a setting that you do not have - if so, set it in Uk mode and then go back to USA.

I haven't got a clue, but its worth a shot.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Plainmad
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Plainmad »

Is this the constant binging the XT produces near schools?

Mine does this and I’m in the UK. I have speeding alerts enabled along with speed camera alerts from scdb.
I find it annoying but didn’t realise that people had found a way to turn it off. I just put it down to one of the many quirks of owning an XT.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Plainmad wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:25 pm Is this the constant binging the XT produces near schools?
Yes, although I wouldn't refer to it as "constant". It is a double tone which is Garmin speak is Bong-Bong...Bong-Bong. Yes, I call those dings "bongs" because that how the come across to me. The implementation is really poor. Sometimes there is no school in sight, other time you can ride by the entrance to a large public school without it being triggered. It also does not seem to coincide with school zone signs. It is as if the maps have a proximity alert for schools that can't be disabled, but the map detail about school locations is very poor.
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I would have to look in my settings to be sure, but I'm confident I have the driver alerts ( if that's what they're called) turned off.
I dont get warnings. School warnings I have never seen.

I would however like to point out another possible cause, besides settings. And that is the map. Maybe the data about school zones isn't available in European (Dutch) maps, and in US maps it is. If it's not available in Europe the XT cant alert, no matter the settings.
(Just guessing)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I just searched out my original post about this issue. viewtopic.php?t=1847&hilit=school+zone

No solution was found for disabling it. @jfheath suggested turning down the volume for proximity alerts which was my workaround.

I am certain that the alerts are in the map, coded in a way that turning off school alerts in the XT does not disable them. I believe it started after a map update. I searched out my original post expecting to find the map version but rereading that post reminded me that I posted searching for the cause of the alert tone.