2 Android Devices with XT2?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Protonhound
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

2 Android Devices with XT2?

Post by Protonhound »

Unlike most people here I actually like the Tread app. I never used Basecamp, just written directions/map on my tank bag but have had other Garmin gps products in the past.
My Galaxy S23Ultra has a decent size screen and the s-pen makes planning easy, but I also want the option of using a larger tablet. I just don't know if it's possible to jump back and forth between 2 Android devices connected to the same XT2.
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: 2 Android Devices with XT2?

Post by AugustFalcon »

Yes, it appears that it is easily possible.

I have the Tread App installed on 2 of my phones, an LG V60 running Android 13, and a Moto Edge + (2022) also running Android 13.

The Moto Edge is my normal phone for connecting to my XT2. The V60 is normally used for my XT but has all the Garmin Apps installed just because I'm sort of a GPS geek and I liked the map presentation on the Tread App over that of Explore.

Basically, I just fired up the XT2 and allowed it to connect to the Moto Edge while I powered on the V60 and opened the Tread App on it. Turned off the Blue Tooth on the Edge and went through the procedure for pairing on the V60. Used the Tread App on the V60 to add a waypoint and then went to the XT2 and synced the new waypoint. Worked fine.

Don't think you can keep both devices connected at the same time on Blue Tooth because you are actually using 2 BT connections for each device when its active, one for the phone and one for the Tread App.

Hope this helps...
Protonhound
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: 2 Android Devices with XT2?

Post by Protonhound »

AugustFalcon wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:34 am Yes, it appears that it is easily possible.

I have the Tread App installed on 2 of my phones, an LG V60 running Android 13, and a Moto Edge + (2022) also running Android 13.

The Moto Edge is my normal phone for connecting to my XT2. The V60 is normally used for my XT but has all the Garmin Apps installed just because I'm sort of a GPS geek and I liked the map presentation on the Tread App over that of Explore.

Basically, I just fired up the XT2 and allowed it to connect to the Moto Edge while I powered on the V60 and opened the Tread App on it. Turned off the Blue Tooth on the Edge and went through the procedure for pairing on the V60. Used the Tread App on the V60 to add a waypoint and then went to the XT2 and synced the new waypoint. Worked fine.

Don't think you can keep both devices connected at the same time on Blue Tooth because you are actually using 2 BT connections for each device when its active, one for the phone and one for the Tread App.

Hope this helps...
Cool thanks. I was concerned about sync conflicts but since that seems to be a one way street from Android device to XT2 and not the other way around it makes sense. I wanted to check before investing in a tablet for ease of planning. I was not thinking about any kind of simultaneous connection since that really would not work anyway.
This way I can plan on a tablet and sync with the XT2, then switch to the phone if I decide to get live traffic and so on. I am not paying for any kind of phone/data plan on a tablet.