ZUMO XT2 CONCLUSIONS

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
frenzo
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: ZUMO XT2 CONCLUSIONS

Post by frenzo »

Thank you!

Express does work with XT2, and I routinely update maps and software for the XT2 via Garmin Express (it's a working alternative to the WiFi connectivity/ Tread avenue for updating the XT2)

What I need to figure out is how to make the maps available for Basecamp. I'll keep tinkering, and if anyone has any hints I'd be forever indebted :)

Appreciate your help
jfheath
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There should be an option on the Express screen to install the maps to the computer.

From the main screen: Map Details -> Map Options -> Install to Computer

Don't change the default location, otherwise Basecamp may not find the map.
Express.png
Express.png (48.37 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

Basecamp isn't involved in this process. Once installed, Basecamp finds the new maps.
  • Unless Garmin have not enabled this for the XT2 in Express. They did that once for the XT, but corrected it soon after.

If that is the case, find someone with an earlier Zumo so that you can plug it in for the map installation to PC option. Once the maps are installed on the PC, you can give the older Zumo back.

See @gwilki's post below which confirms that he has used the XT to allow the installation of maps on the computer using Express.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
gwilki
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Canada

Post by gwilki »

I have the Xt2, basecamp and express. I can use and have used Express to install the maps that are on the XT2 onto my computer. Just an FYI.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks @gwilki .

So the screen shot I posted above is the correct behaviour for the XT2 as well ?
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

gwilki
Canada

Post by gwilki »

jfheath wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:04 pm Thanks @gwilki .

So the screen shot I posted above is the correct behaviour for the XT2 as well ?
In my experience, yes. I just updated the maps on my PC, used by Basecamp, using Express and transferring from my XT2.

I had read here before that I needed to ensure that Express was not started on startup of my PC or on connecting with the XT2.Since doing that, I have had no issues using Express to sychronize the maps between the XT2 and my PC.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
frenzo
United States of America

Post by frenzo »

Fantastic, will do right away - thank you so much @jfheath and @gwilki
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Let us know how you get on please @frenzo !

twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

connect the XT2 to computer, start up Garmin Express, select install maps 'on computer only'. then leave XT2 connected to computer, run MapInstall and select the map sets to transfer/copy to the XT2 internal memory or the SD card if you have one. when Express downloads new maps to the computer with the XT2 attached Express will install an unlock code on the XT2, that unlock code will allow you to run MapInstall and select any maps sets you want for the XT2. Basecamp is not involved in this process but if during the Express maps download to your computer you let Express put the maps in the recommended Garmin folder on your computer, you should have no problem using those maps on the XT2 and also in Basecamp
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
frenzo
United States of America

Post by frenzo »

quite disappointed to report back to all the kind users here who have provided advice. I can't seem to find any "map options" or "install to computer" screen in the Garmin Express software I'm running (7.19.0.0)

I assume my only option is to fetch the map files from some folder on the XT2 and move it to the relevant Basecamp folder on my laptop?
gwilki
Canada

Post by gwilki »

frenzo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:18 pm quite disappointed to report back to all the kind users here who have provided advice. I can't seem to find any "map options" or "install to computer" screen in the Garmin Express software I'm running (7.19.0.0)

I assume my only option is to fetch the map files from some folder on the XT2 and move it to the relevant Basecamp folder on my laptop?
Here is how it works with Express 7.19.0.0 and my XT2 on a Windows 11 PC.

The opening screen of Express shows my devices. I click on the Zumo XT2 button. I get this screen
express screen _1.jpg
express screen _1.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 871 times

I click on "map details" and I get this screen

Express screen _2.jpg
Express screen _2.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 871 times
I click on "options" under "City Navigator North America 2024.20" and I get this screen

express screen _3.jpg
express screen _3.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 871 times
I click on Install to computer and it copies the file from XT2 to the default location on my PC.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada