Navigation Inaccuracy Issue with XT Unit: Defective or Normal?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
cuthbertdavies

Navigation Inaccuracy Issue with XT Unit: Defective or Normal?

Post by cuthbertdavies »

I "upgraded" from a 396 to an XT this winter, and now that I've had it out a few times I'm encountering an issue that I don't recall experiencing with the 396. It will indicate that my next turn is a couple of miles away when it's actually right in front of me. Several times it has been off by almost 4 miles, and one instance was particularly strange - I turned onto a road and it initially indicated my next turn was 2.7 miles ahead, but then it suddenly changed to 5 miles and started counting down from there. However, when I reached around 2.7 miles, that's where the road was, and the device recognized it as soon as I passed it. Do you believe I have a faulty unit, or is this considered "normal"?
Last edited by jfheath on Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo in title
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Re: Navigation Inaccuracy Issue with XT Unit: Defective or Normal?

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums !

No, that behaviour is not normal. But the behaviour may depend on a few things.

How did you create your route ? What software ? Or did you create it on the XT screen ?

Check your settings in myMaps. If you have additional maps i stalled, then selecting two maps for the sane area can cause issues.

Check your route points. If you have a misplaced route point that could account for the additional mileage, and I can think kf circumstances where the mileage would change - in the way that you describe, as a result.

How is your routing set ? eg Avoidances, calculation mode, U allowed turns? Iff route recalculation allowed ?

Are you navigating a route, or a track that has been converted to a trip ?

Where are you ?? I could look at your route if you post a gpx file of the route that you created - but I have European maps, but could still get useful info from it.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
ray6576
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by ray6576 »

I have recently noticed that there seems to be a map database error and I do not know if it is the GPS or the database itself. On two occasions after imputing and address the GPS wanted to take me to the wrong location. I am using an XT.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I think the XT itself is fine, the problem is probably satellite and the map data coordination
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)