595 will not answer calls

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
OldRS
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

595 will not answer calls

Post by OldRS »

Afternoon

I can make calls from my 595 and then enjoy conversations via the headset but incoming calls do not get futher than the iphone. Any thoughts?

Ta
Owner of a, greatly treasured, Zumo 550 and, deeply loathed, Zumo 595.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 33 times
United States of America

Re: 595 will not answer calls

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Try unpairing and reinstalling the phone and headset.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:09 pm Try unpairing and reinstalling the phone and headset.
Thanks Michael

Tried that and paired the Zumo to the Edge as a GPS and as a second phone. Neither makes any difference, there's no warning on the Zumo nor in the Edge that there is an incoming call.

Regards

Richard
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have an XT. In its phone configuration (Settings > Wireless Networks) is an option for "Smartphone services". In there is a bunch of service options that can be enabled/disabled (eg: Incoming Calls, Voice, Mail, Email, Text Messages,..>). Maybe there is something similar on the 595.

One thing that I am curious about is whether smartphone services are dependent on the Garmin Drive app. Does anyone know?

FWIW, sometimes mine work, sometimes they don't. I regularly find that smartphone services did not connect automatically which is why I wonder whether the Drive app plays a role in this.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I think that this is likely a permissions issue.

On my Android phone, the Bluetooth connection setting for the 590 enables access to Calls, Audio, and Contacts. Being able to make outgoing calls suggests your iPhone is properly setup in this respect.

The 590 and 595 use the Smartphone Link app to connect with the phone. The Android version has a gear icon at the top for Settings. One of those settings is "Choose apps and categories to get notifications" in your Garmin device. I would look through those entries to make sure any relevant categories are checked, particularly the Phone app. I'd also turn off any irrelevant entries - I really don't need any notifications from my email or sudoku apps while I'm riding.

@Peobody, phone calls and music from the phone work just fine without Drive (or Smartphone Link). Anything that uses the phone internet connection needs the app: weather, traffic, search results shared from the phone, importing routes wirelessly, etc. Edit: except wireless firmware/map updates which need wi-fi, which I suppose you could do with your phone as a hot spot, without Drive.
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Thanks @lkraus amd @Peobody

Prior to selling my soul to Cardo I used a totally stupid BT headset and never had any problems with incoming calls appearing on the Zumo and being heard in the headset. I did have a conversation with Garmin on Tuesday about an unrelated problem and all they could suggest was a 30% discount against an XT2 because the 595 is no longer supported. They also suggested a full reset of the 595 - which I did to no avail.

I suppose that I should persevere but . . .

Cheers

Richard
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I agree with @lkraus in that it could be a permissions issue. There are so many parts to this, and it is difficult to know which parts affect what behavior. He mentioned the Smartphone Link app on the 595 which sounds similar to what is described in the Smarphone services on the XT. I asked about the Drive app because I didn't know whether the its Notifications setting in the iPhone could block incoming calls notification to the 595 if it was disabled. Thanks @lkraus for explaining that it shouldn't.

In the Bluetooth connections on my iPhone I see two devices related to my XT. One starts with "BT", the other with "BLE". The "BLE" one contains the single option of "Share System Notifications". This is another seeing that I am clueless about, especially whether it would affect the passing of incoming calls to a satnav.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

OldRS wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:20 pm Thanks @lkraus amd @Peobody

Prior to selling my soul to Cardo I used a totally stupid BT headset and never had any problems with incoming calls appearing on the Zumo and being heard in the headset. I did have a conversation with Garmin on Tuesday about an unrelated problem and all they could suggest was a 30% discount against an XT2 because the 595 is no longer supported. They also suggested a full reset of the 595 - which I did to no avail.

I suppose that I should persevere but . . .

Cheers

Richard
Just checking here.

Your 595 is connected to the Cardo headset. There is the option to connect it as a GPS - which is what Cardo want, because they want the Cardo to be at the centre of the universe. However, the Zumo works best if it is at the centre - it relays your calls in and out to your phone - so once connected the Zumo behaves as if IT is the phone - so It works best if headset is paired to the Zumo as if the Zumo is the second phone.

Then pair your phone to the Zumo.

You pair the Zumo as a second phone because you will occasionally want to use your phone's Cardo App to alter the settings on your Cardo. Doing that will mean that you have to set it up to your Zumo again. Instead, the first phone is available for when you just want to program your headset. Delete that pairing when you have finished programming the Cardo.

Is this a Cardo Edge ? Just asking ' cos I wrote some detailed instructions once I had finally got this figured out.

Smartphone Link does not affect the basic phone call functions. It will affect the data coming into the phone via the internet - eg emails, text messages, weather and traffic info.

So PHONE <-----------------> Zumo < ------ pair as 2nd phone ------> Cardo Headset
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC