Speeding alert & music

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Valpen
Norway

Speeding alert & music

Post by Valpen »

Hello,

Is it normal that you don't get a speeding alert if you listen to music (source Zumo XT)?
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 678 times
Great Britain

Re: Speeding alert & music

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums !

No - I don't think that is normal.

Check your volume mixer settings. You can control the volume of different features separately. If your Music is up to 100% and your Proximity Alert is way down at 10% - then when you turn the volume down to half way because your music is too loud, you end up with:
The music playing at half of 100% = 50%
The Alerts playing at half of 10% = 5% . I said the speeding alert will be too quiet to hear !

I've assumed that the speeding tone comes under proximity alert. I think that is the case.

To set the levels:

As a starting position, Set the Master volume at (Say 70%).
Phone calls eg 90%,
Navigation eg 50%
Music eg 80%
Proximity eg 30% - those speeding reduction pings are irritatingly loud especially when so many of them are incorrectly placed.
That will give a starting position which you can adjust to suit what you want.

If that ends up being too quiet because of surrounding noise, I still have a bit of master volume left to play with.

Don't forget that there are on/off settings under Driver Assistance for speeding alerts in the city and outside the city, and a separate one for reduced speed tone. It is possible that these have got altered when 'playing' witht he Zumo at home.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Valpen
Norway

Post by Valpen »

Thank you, I will try it on my next trip.
Oop North John
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Valpen wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:39 pm Thank you, I will try it on my next trip.
If I remember correctly, then speed camera warnings will be announced (only once as you won't be above the limit) if you ride a simulated route, which might be easier, though less fun, than being out on the bike to test the results.
zumokaren
United States of America

Post by zumokaren »

If the music volume is very loud, it's possible the music could interfere with the speed alert beep, and the beep tone may get drowned out. I'd try lowering the music volume slightly or turning it off occasionally in flight to verify that the alerts are still functioning properly.
Valpen
Norway

Post by Valpen »

I've tried turning down the music and turning up more notifications and it makes no difference.
Everything is as before. I only get speeding allert if the music is on pause.

Speed ​​camera notifications go regardless of whether I have the music on, so it works.
Valpen
Norway

Post by Valpen »

No idea?

I've been thinking about listening to music by phone, but don't get it.
The phone is connected, the media too, but Zumo does not find any folders with the songs, and there is no possibility of choosing.
(Samsung Galaxy S 21+)
lkraus
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 122 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

A Zumo will only "find" music on the Zumo, in internal memory or µSD card. It needs to be in a folder named Music or MP3, or in a subfolder of those folders. The music needs to be in .mp3 format, the µSD card must be formatted as FAT32.

A Zumo can pass along music that is playing on your phone to a headset (with some limited controls), but you first need to start the music app on the phone. Locating the music in the phone memory is up to the phone app, controlled by using the screen or, with some phones, by voice commands.

The Zumo music app lets you choose your source, MP3 for music stored in the Zumo, Bluetooth for music played from the phone.

I keep a large amount of mp3 files on my Zumo and just let it play random tracks. I've tried playing music from my phone, and tried voice control, but sooner or later those attempts have always forced me to stop along the road to dig out my phone for changes of some sort. It's possible that I've set up something wrong on my phone, but I don't find it worth the effort to fix.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

In the Phone settings under the Bluetooth settings of the XT, the "Media Audio" option must be enabled.

That said, I copied my music to the SD card in the XT because of better music quality and control. When playing it from the phone, XT would prompt to start playing it immediately upon connecting to the phone.

That doesn't help solve your speed alert issue though. I don't have speed alerts enabled, and rarely listen to music, so my only point is that you may not be happy with trying to play music from your phone. Note: I have an iPhone. You may have a better experience with your Samsung Galaxy.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.