Route sharing

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Route sharing

Post by Scarecrow »

hi guys
a bit of help required please.
I am in a group of 6 heading for the dolomites at the end of this month
We have decided on a few routes which I have put on a SD card but my problem is,
2 of the group have Navigator V1, 2 have XT's & the other 2 have XT2's
what is the easiest way for me to put/share the routes with all units.
Cheers
Del
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Re: Route sharing

Post by rbentnail »

I use Base Camp so I export to a file, load the route into dropbox and tell everyone to have at it. I provide picture(s) of sufficient detail for folks to modify as needed.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

My group ride route sharing is normally via email (.gpx file attached) although one fellow has a Nav VI which we have found very easy for me to transfer a route from my XT directly to his Nav VI or vice versa via bluetooth using the Share Route function.

Whenever talking about sharing routes I feel compelled to include a reminder that there is no guarantee that a route will be identical on every device.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:27 am
2 of the group have Navigator V1, 2 have XT's & the other 2 have XT2's
The Nav VI is basically the same as the Zumo 595 as far as naviagtion is concerned.

If the maps are the same on their units as the one that you created in Basecamp then the route should be transferred exactly as you created them.
If not, then the satnav will recalculate the route using its own internal settings and algorithm. The route that is generated will pass through all of the Via Points and Shaping points. It may just take different roads - depending on how far apart the shaping points are plotted.

But any device is likely to recalculate the route - depending on circumstances.

I suggest that you do a couple of things before sending.

0. (I thought of a third) - In BAsecamp check edit -> options -> device transfer . Make sure that all boxes are unticked.
Then recalculate the route(s), make the tracks (see below) and re-create the gpx files.

1. Make sure that the start point is placed at a location that everyone will pass through. This means not placing it int he car park where you intend to meet up and start riding. Place it a mile or so up the road - somwhere that everyone will pass through AFTER they have set off (its ok, the satnav will navigate them to that point from wherever they are.

2. Use BC to create a track of the routes, and send them that as well. All of these units can display route and track on top of each other. If the route decides to go a different way, then the track will become visible.

For the XT User. Tell them to follow the procedure to Avoid the RUT behaviour (using the XT screen) - bottom of this page
app.php/ZXT-P103

For the XT2 User, tell them to select the route, and then when the preview map appears, tap the spanner. Select Copy and give it a slightly different name. I don't know if this has the same effect - I haven't tested it yet. But it certainly makes the same change to the route which prevents the RUT behaviour on the XT.

For XT and XT2 - if you prefer the first method - described on the page linked above - using FrankB's Javawa trip repair tool, then he has already checked the the same tool does the same thing for both varieties of XT. We just haven't had chance to check that it has the same effect.

If they need to know how to make tracks visible - there are 4 different ways depending on how their stanavs are set up. For the XT, a description is here - P57 for the Nav VI and the XT without explore set up - you have to make the track visible on the map.
P58 if Explore is set up - the track has to be in a collection (or unassigned) and the collection is made visible on the map.

The XT2 is similar to the XT with Explore set up - ie it has to use collections. The big difference is that you can create and mess around with coellections direct from the XT2 screen.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:43 pm My group ride route sharing is normally via email (.gpx file attached) although one fellow has a Nav VI which we have found very easy for me to transfer a route from my XT directly to his Nav VI or vice versa via bluetooth using the Share Route function.

Whenever talking about sharing routes I feel compelled to include a reminder that there is no guarantee that a route will be identical on every device.
I tried sharing but the routes always got changed with different devices and the mapset loaded. I quit doing it altogether.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A