Start point, how far to avoid RUT?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
OldRS
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Start point, how far to avoid RUT?

Post by OldRS »

danham wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:30 pm It's either "Repeated U Turns" or just a pun referring to the XT getting stuck in a rut involving repeated U-Turns. Either way:

app.php/ZXT-P103

-dan

Thanks Dan

Am teetering on the point of accepting Garmin's offer to exchange my 595 + £370 for an XT2 and car mount. . . . .

Regards

Richard
Owner of a, greatly treasured, Zumo 550 and, deeply loathed, Zumo 595.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 740 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Well so far the XT2 has behaved particularly well.

But what is it that you loathe about the 595 ?? The XT2 comes from the same background as the 595. Both evolved from the 590. In my opinion, the predictability and navigation took a backward step with the 595 and a bigger one with the XT.

The XT2 is (cautiously) an improvement on both and seems to fix some of the issues that were present in the XT. But it is early days yet.

But if you don't like the interface or way you have to do things to create a route, then the basic idea is the same on 590, 595, XT and XT2 - although the XT2 makes collections first seen implemented (badly imo) work without having to connect to an on-line system.

If it is the way your route behaves once the 595 is left to its own devices, then the XT2 may be an answer. MAYBE.
If there is something specific that you want to ask, I''ll do my best to find out.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:09 pm Well so far the XT2 has behaved particularly well.

But what is it that you loathe about the 595 ?? The XT2 comes from the same background as the 595. Both evolved from the 590. In my opinion, the predictability and navigation took a backward step with the 595 and a bigger one with the XT.

The XT2 is (cautiously) an improvement on both and seems to fix some of the issues that were present in the XT. But it is early days yet.

But if you don't like the interface or way you have to do things to create a route, then the basic idea is the same on 590, 595, XT and XT2 - although the XT2 makes collections first seen implemented (badly imo) work without having to connect to an on-line system.

If it is the way your route behaves once the 595 is left to its own devices, then the XT2 may be an answer. MAYBE.
If there is something specific that you want to ask, I''ll do my best to find out.

My fundamental dislike is the, barely readible in daylight, screen. Loss of the ability to join a route mid-way without the need to add waypoints is annoying. Oh, and whilst in France last week the power button made a bid for freedom. Off-mount battery life is dire enough for me to use a power-bank if I wish to discus routes at breakfast. I was dissapointed when the 595 lost the option to include start times in the route scheduler.

R
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

OldRS wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:01 pm My fundamental dislike is the, barely readible in daylight, screen. Loss of the ability to join a route mid-way without the need to add waypoints is annoying. Oh, and whilst in France last week the power button made a bid for freedom. Off-mount battery life is dire enough for me to use a power-bank if I wish to discus routes at breakfast. I was dissapointed when the 595 lost the option to include start times in the route scheduler.

R
XT2 screen is superb. Very bright white. I've had to turn it down a couple of times !
Closest entry point is retained from XT. Not tried it yet, but they had it sorted on the XT anyway - providing you check the preview.
Power button seems sturdy.
Battery is good. I have used it in my hand for long stints, without issue. A USB cable at 2.1A is not enough to charge it while it is in use. When you get it, it takes a long time to charge. Expect at least 24 hours. I put mine in the cradle which I powered with a 2.4 amp transformer.
You can't schedule route points by time of day or date. The 595 used to take note of dates that were set from Basecamp, even though you couldn't view it. XT2 has a few different sort orders available for most lists.
Collections are properly implemented. Any route, track, waypoint can be put into one or more collections. Eg make a collection called June Trip. Put everything for your June Trip in it. Then make a collection for each day of the trip, and out the corresponding data in for each day. Collections can be made invisible on the map, so you can just turn on the data for the day you want - today.
Excellent editing tools to manage collections. No need for linking to an online database - although that is possible.

Ive been keeping this post up to date when I discover stuff about the XT2
viewtopic.php?t=2858
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:41 pm
OldRS wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:01 pm My fundamental dislike is the, barely readible in daylight, screen. Loss of the ability to join a route mid-way without the need to add waypoints is annoying. Oh, and whilst in France last week the power button made a bid for freedom. Off-mount battery life is dire enough for me to use a power-bank if I wish to discus routes at breakfast. I was dissapointed when the 595 lost the option to include start times in the route scheduler.

R
XT2 screen is superb. Very bright white. I've had to turn it down a couple of times !
Closest entry point is retained from XT. Not tried it yet, but they had it sorted on the XT anyway - providing you check the preview.
Power button seems sturdy.
Battery is good. I have used it in my hand for long stints, without issue. A USB cable at 2.1A is not enough to charge it while it is in use. When you get it, it takes a long time to charge. Expect at least 24 hours. I put mine in the cradle which I powered with a 2.4 amp transformer.
You can't schedule route points by time of day or date. The 595 used to take note of dates that were set from Basecamp, even though you couldn't view it. XT2 has a few different sort orders available for most lists.
Collections are properly implemented. Any route, track, waypoint can be put into one or more collections. Eg make a collection called June Trip. Put everything for your June Trip in it. Then make a collection for each day of the trip, and out the corresponding data in for each day. Collections can be made invisible on the map, so you can just turn on the data for the day you want - today.
Excellent editing tools to manage collections. No need for linking to an online database - although that is possible.

Ive been keeping this post up to date when I discover stuff about the XT2
viewtopic.php?t=2858

Thank you. I've also noticed that the XT2 is not supplied with the same NTEU maps as my 550/590/595 have and the NTEU is a ~£70 addition. Is the supplied mapping adequate? And there's no mention of "text to speech" direction - I suppose that's a "given" nowadays?

TA

Richard
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I posted about the maps here:

viewtopic.php?p=21626#p21626

Odd. I had not noticed that the name did not include 'NTU' (whatever that means - I never bothered to find out). So far I have not noticed any difference in mapping - but I haven't paid much attention. The routing and maps looked the same when I ran the XT2 and XT side by side. But I was riding, and these were just quick glances.

Text to speech ? I generally select that option from the voices available. I had not noticed any difference in the instructions from the XT2

I may not be the person to ask. But I still have my 590, 595 and XT so I can easily do a side by side comparison, if you tell me what to look for.

OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:37 am I posted about the maps here:

viewtopic.php?p=21626#p21626

Odd. I had not noticed that the name did not include 'NTU' (whatever that means - I never bothered to find out). So far I have not noticed any difference in mapping - but I haven't paid much attention. The routing and maps looked the same when I ran the XT2 and XT side by side. But I was riding, and these were just quick glances.

Text to speech ? I generally select that option from the voices available. I had not noticed any difference in the instructions from the XT2

I may not be the person to ask. But I still have my 590, 595 and XT so I can easily do a side by side comparison, if you tell me what to look for.
Thanks
If TTS is an option then that's good enough for me - I guess that it's not mentioned nowadays becuase it's the norm in all guidance systems but I can remember when it was uncommon and, therefore, mentioned.
Looks as though I will, reluctantly, had over £370 for an XT2
Ta
Richard
Rofor
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

OldRS wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:09 pm I do not know what "RUT" stands for but, as afar as I am concerned, the most significant failing in all of Garmin's products after the 550 was the removal of the the option to be guided to the start of a route or for the device to monitor ones progress and start guidance when the route was crossed.
Hopefully i didn't misunderstand your concerns...

You'll be automatically guided to the starting point of your route when you are not near it, at least with Zumo XT - also when you are leaving the active route and you re-join it, the navigation will be continued automatically!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Rofor wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:28 am
OldRS wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:09 pm I do not know what "RUT" stands for but, as afar as I am concerned, the most significant failing in all of Garmin's products after the 550 was the removal of the the option to be guided to the start of a route or for the device to monitor ones progress and start guidance when the route was crossed.
Hopefully i didn't misunderstand your concerns...

You'll be automatically guided to the starting point of your route when you are not near it, at least with Zumo XT - also when you are leaving the active route and you re-join it, the navigation will be continued automatically!
The 550 allowed two options when route guidance started. [1] guided you to the start of the route and the continued from the start point [2] waited until the ride crossed any point on the route and then started guidance. No waypoints were required on the route to make this work. I've not seen it on any units since the 550.

Ta

Richard
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

If I recall correctly, my 660 offered a version of your #1: guided me to the start of the route, but required one more button press to join that route.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE