Black Dots on BaseCamp Map

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
Chopperbob
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
Netherlands

Black Dots on BaseCamp Map

Post by Chopperbob »

What are the black spots on the basecamp maps that are all over the place? They are not part of my route of track.

I can take a screenshot maybe later.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: Black Dots on BaseCamp Map

Post by Peobody »

There are ones that indicate a town but those are labeled as such. Hovering over the others displays "Unknown", so that's my answer. :lol:
I'm using the CN NA NT map with Basecamp on a PC so my black dots may not be your black dots.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

On my Mac , each black dot represents more info available when you hover the cursor (CN NA NT). It could be a town name, an address on a road, a business, for example, or in many cases, all of these.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I call those measles, and the U.S. City Navigator maps suffer a great deal from them.

The biggest cause of my infection is selecting "Cities" under Edit>Options>Activity Profile>General>Map Display Features>Points. You can try turning off various features to see what the effects are on your maps.

I DO want to see names for cities, towns, villages, but I do NOT need to see the locations of township offices. There are 1308 of them in my state of Ohio, and I have never, ever, wanted to include one on any of my routes. There is no option to omit township offices and still see cities. The map does not show the township boundaries, though hovering over a gray area might show the city or township name (pale yellow background does not show the name of the governing authority)

There are also quite a lot of dots that only say "Unknown" when you hover on them. Why show a dot if you don't know what it represents!?? Checking the same coordinates in Google Maps shows nothing in particular.
measles.jpg
measles.jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
Another complaint of mine, related to the townships, is shown here. Most of smaller township locations are nothing more than an equipment garage with a attached meeting room for the trustees. Yet they are often labelled on the map with a large font, while many large cities and most towns and villages are omitted or shown with a font the same size as a street name.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:14 pm Most of smaller township locations are nothing more than an equipment garage with a attached meeting room for the trustees. Yet they are often labelled on the map with a large font, while many large cities and most towns and villages are omitted or shown with a font the same size as a street name.
That annoys me too. It's not just little townships though, at a certain zoomed out level, airports and military bases are often in a larger font than large cities.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
JD Hog
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by JD Hog »

On my BaseCamp map those show up when I use ALT and drag my route to another road. When I let go the black dot shows up. They stay there until you use the Erase icon to delete them or the Move Point icon to move them.
Jim Diebolt
Zumo XT
2015 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Northern California, USA