Fuel tracking

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
mickef1981
Sweden

Fuel tracking

Post by mickef1981 »

Hello everyone.

I am considering buying the XT2 for some EU trips but I would like to power it through my USB socket instead, and as I understand this will not be a problem.

However to use the Fuel tracking ability it says in the manual that the device has to be in the motorcycle mount for this to work.
Are they trying to say that it has to be powered with the included power cable that connects to the battery and then through the mount for this to work?

Thanks for any help in this matter.
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 28 times
Canada

Re: Fuel tracking

Post by technoguppy »

It will not function as you desire if you don't power it via the connection cable they provide. If you choose to power by USB it will not track or "realize" that it is in the motorcycle mount, and won't track the fuel tank info.

Sorry to tell you that but might provide info for a different option or setup.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
mickef1981
Sweden

Post by mickef1981 »

Thats what I was afraid of..

There is no such thing as a garmin power socket -> USB connector?
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Usb socket connections are not a good idea on a motorbike the vibration makes the male and female parts of the connection move against each other and typically, the female half breaks away from the circuit board.

The bike mount is designed to keep the mount and the Zumo locked tightly together.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
smfollen
Subscriber
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times
United States of America

Post by smfollen »

The XT2 mount supplies 12 volt power to the unit. USB is only 5 volts. The XT2's capabilities are slightly limited when powered by USB.

I should add that the XT wiring harness includes a transformer to reduce voltage to the mount to 5 volts. This is why you can use an XT2 in an XT mount but can not use an XT in an XT2 mount. It is also why Garmin recommends installing the XT2 wiring harness when upgrading from an XT to an XT2.
mickef1981
Sweden

Post by mickef1981 »

Ok that makes sense. Thanks!