SD card formatting

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
bribe36
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

SD card formatting

Post by bribe36 »

I recently installed a micro SD memory card in the back of my Zumo XT. when I view the Zumo through Garmin express it doesn’t show the increased memory on the GPS. Other than simply installing the memory card do I need to format it for it to recognize the memory card in the GPS? If so, how do I do that?
sussamb
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Re: SD card formatting

Post by sussamb »

Shouldn't have to do anything, but what size is the card?
bribe36
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bribe36 »

128GB. I followed the “instructions “ but it doesn’t seem to be recognized by the gps. Grrrrr
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Max size that you can use 'out of the box' is 32GB.
For cards > 32Gb you will need to format it as FAT32 with 3rd party software. It will NOT work if you format it with Windows 10 or 11!
I have succesfully used: Rufus. https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases
Rofor
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 60 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@bribe36 - another easy solution for a 'false' data system on a new sdcard without any tool is as follows:
While the Zumo XT is turned off(!)...
  • Take the card out of the Zumo XT
  • Turn on the Zumo XT and wait until it is fired up completely, showing the main screen
  • Now put the sdcard again in the Zumo XT, while the unit is on
  • There should be now a message box on the screen, asking if the the Zumo XT should format the sdcard
  • Press 'yes' and after a short time your sdcard should be ready and usable - the max. size of a usable sdcard should be 256Gb...
Should be as easy as this...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
FrankB
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@Rofor Will try this method next time I replace the sdcard.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:35 am @Rofor Will try this method next time I replace the sdcard.
Me too. I have always inserted the card with the XT turned off, using a third party tool for formatting. I wonder why Garmin didn't program the detection of an unformatted card during boot-up that would trigger that prompt about formatting the card.

@Rofor, does the XT format the card to its physical size? (eg: a 128GB card gets formatted to 128GB size)
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Been liked: 206 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

bribe36 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:52 am I recently installed a micro SD memory card in the back of my Zumo XT. when I view the Zumo through Garmin express it doesn’t show the increased memory on the GPS. Other than simply installing the memory card do I need to format it for it to recognize the memory card in the GPS? If so, how do I do that?
Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:17 pm
FrankB wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:35 am @Rofor Will try this method next time I replace the sdcard.
Me too. I have always inserted the card with the XT turned off, using a third party tool for formatting. I wonder why Garmin didn't program the detection of an unformatted card during boot-up that would trigger that prompt about formatting the card.

@Rofor, does the XT format the card to its physical size? (eg: a 128GB card gets formatted to 128GB size)
Short answer- yes.

Long answer- I bought a new 128gb card. I turned on the XT and waited for complete bootup then waited more until it was done. I was in my basement so waiting included searching and not finding satellites and selecting simulation mode. In retrospect it's faster if you select this right off. I then inserted the card. The device found it and asked if I wanted to format it. I said yes. It did. Using File Explorer on my laptop, connected device via USB cable, I see 'User Memory' of 128gb.

Now to the OP's question that everyone ignored, in bold above- correct. Garmin Express does not show SD card capacity as memory. Use your computer for that, assuming you have one.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Rofor
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 60 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:17 pmI wonder why Garmin didn't program the detection of an unformatted card during boot-up that would trigger that prompt about formatting the card.
I think it's for safety reasons - there are no 'unformatted' sdcards, all of them came pre-formatted, <=32Gb in FAT32 and >32Gb in exFAT! I think, Garmin will maybe prevent the user from using accidentally a 'in-use' sdcard...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
sussamb
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:58 am Now to the OP's question that everyone ignored, in bold above- correct. Garmin Express does not show SD card capacity as memory. Use your computer for that, assuming you have one.
Not quite true. It may not for an XT but it does for some Garmin devices.