Wifi transfer of files

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
colirv
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 39 times
Great Britain

Wifi transfer of files

Post by colirv »

Is it possible to transfer gpx files direct from a PC to an XT using wifi? It seems to me you have either to connect the two via a cable or manually remove the SD card, load that from your PC, then re-insert it. Is that right?
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
jfheath
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 675 times
Great Britain

Re: Wifi transfer of files

Post by jfheath »

colirv wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:17 pm Is it possible to transfer gpx files direct from a PC to an XT using wifi? It seems to me you have either to connect the two via a cable or manually remove the SD card, load that from your PC, then re-insert it. Is that right?
No - not directly. But if you have the Garmin Drive App on you phone, then you can tell the phone to handle the GPX file with Drive - and it sends it to the XT by Bluetooth.

I don't have wifi or BT on my computer, so I email it to my phone, and then select the attachment in the phones email app, and it gives me a list of which apps I want to open it with. Choose drive and drive confirms that you want to send it to the XT.

It sounds long winded, but it is actually much faster than witing for the computer to recognise the USB connection, and then when done, you have to wait for the XT to restart. Using Drive, you don't have to connect anything or wait for a restart. But you don't get to choose where the gpx file is saved. However - you still have the attachment in the email on your phone - so that is an extremely useful backup - which you can use while out and about.

I'm sure that I wrote something about this.....(goes to look) ... Ah yes - here it is. And the following page shows you how to send the route to someone else.

app.php/ZXT-P77
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 317 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Be aware that the process may be slightly different with an iPhone. The last time I did it, there was no option for opening the email attachment with the Drive App. Instead I had to 'Share' the attachment and then select the Drive App as the Share.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
colirv
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Thanks, chaps. I use the Drive method when I've created a route on the tablet, so I'll see how it compares to the USB when routing in Basecamp.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Rofor
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 60 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Theres no difference - the route is handled the same way as if imported from sdcard...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
colirv
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Heh. I meant for convenience, although that wasn't clear!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 317 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:36 pm Heh. I meant for convenience, although that wasn't clear!
IMO, there is no method that I know of that is more convenient than connecting the XT to a PC. There is no need to remove the card from the XT. A file explorer will see the card, allowing you to copy .gpx files directly to it. I understand your question though. It sure would be convenient if a PC could connect directly to an XT via wifi for .gpx file management purposes.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.