RUT on XT2: Intended behavior? Low Priority? Garmin wants to hear from you.

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: RUT on XT2: Intended behavior? Low Priority? Garmin wants to hear from you.

Post by jfheath »

smfollen wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:47 pm Hopefully some of this is helpful. Your testing efforts are more careful and more complete than mine. You provide results where I offer theories.
Always helpful ! its good to see some of my earlier stuff revisited and confirmed (ie it jogs my memory!), and different takes on some things that I had never thought about.

I start with theories and then try everything I can think of to support them or pull them apart. Its only by doing that, that I can home in on a better theory ! I mentioned it because I have had a couple of issues with closest entry that I couldn't put my finger on, and it was another unknown to sidetrack me. I decided to keep it simple and never bother testing RUT when using CEP - except at one point I thought that it may trigger the behaviour - but it doesn't recalculate the whole route, which was the trigger that always developed into RUT behaviour.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Apox
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Apox »

I'm asking for help with my friend's XT2 model. I myself have an Xt model and with that the problem can be solved by saving the active route again.

But in the XT2 model this is reportedly not possible? :?
Is it possible to make the routes work better also in the XT2 model using only the navigator itself?

Or do you have to use, for example, this method https://www.javawa.nl/triprepair.html website.
Does this work with the XT2 model?
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Both methods work with the XT2. But - there is always a but ....

The XT2 doesn't seem to have an option to allow mobile data (like traffic, weather) to the phone separately from synchronisation between the XT2 and the Explore Database. Its either both or not at all as far as I can tell.

With an imported route - either from Basecamp or from a gpx file - if that is allowed to synchronise then that process changes the route. Not drastically at first glance - It seems to follow the original route but 'improve it' - which basically means that it seems to ignore the shaping points. It then puts new shaping points on its new route. No I can't believe it either. But that is what I have observed.

However after that you can still apply the RUTproof fix
Either by using the Javawa tool
Or you can still resave the route - except not in the same way as with the XT2.

To resave the route, select the route and then click the Spanner. Down near the bottom is a 'Copy' option.
Choose that and give it a new name so that you know it is a copy.
As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the copy is then flagged with mImported set to false. And tests have shown these not enter into RUT behaviour where the original route did. This Copy facility does not add the additionl start point as your current position - whcih is what the XT1's save the active route does. So you don't have to wait until the night each day to copy it when you are on a long tour.

At present - the only way I can get the XT2 not to alter the route is to break the link with Explore and do without weather and traffic data.

(Drive used to have the option for setting up the link with Explore, and keep weather and traffic data available).
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC