Zoom in on City Navigator Europe SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Coldrider
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Re: Zoom in on City Navigator Europe SD card

Post by Coldrider »

Yes, It's not the same as in the real world. We may have got off track with this simulation issue though. From the discussion so far, it doesn't seem like anyone else has encountered the same issue as I have with insufficient zoom in ability using a city navigator map on an SD card. Not yet anyway.
QuantumQuartz
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by QuantumQuartz »

It seems your Zumo 390LM's map in Portugal isn't zooming in as detailed as your North America map does back home in Canada, despite similar settings. Have you updated the European map or checked for Zumo firmware updates? Sometimes these updates resolve display issues like this. If not, contacting Garmin support might help pinpoint the problem.
Coldrider
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by Coldrider »

Thanks for the ideas QQ. Unfortunately, I can't update the map on the SD card, so I would have to buy an updated map of Europe for 2024 - which I may do if all else fails. The problem may very well be how this very large and seemingly convoluted map is arranged on the card. I do update the unit and download the latest CN North America maps at least once a year though, so assume the firmware is also up to date since I would do that too if any updates were available. On the phone Garmin Customer Support here simply says that they no longer support the 390LM. I did raise an interested Garmin tech on one of their forums who asked a lot of questions, with suggestions similar to those in various posts above and ended up speculating that the unit may not be able to read this SD map fast enough to navigate with the same resolution I use back at home. I wondered if dumping the internal map in memory and replacing it with the map on the SD card might work, but he said that reloading the North American map later would be next to impossible. So, all in all nothing definitive from Garmin. He also suggested trying this forum in the UK though to see if anyone here had had a similar experience. And here we are!
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I'm glad you found a Garmin tech that showed an interest in the problem, but I don't think he was very knowledgeable.

The "next to impossible" part of your proposed solution is that Garmin maps purchased on a SDcard are copy-protected and cannot be transferred to internal memory, or a computer, or anywhere else.

Removing and later restoring your City Navigator North America map only requires that you either make a backup of "Zumo\.System\gmapprom.img" (hidden folder) before deleting it or that you just install the map again with Garmin Express, the same way you update the map.

I'd suggest you take a look at OpenStreetMaps for a free alternative to the 2024 Garmin SDcard. Maybe even try a map for your home area first to get an idea of how well they work. The maps from openmapchest.org are very good and are free if you download with a torrent client. The Europe map should be downloaded for Basecamp and then specific areas can be installed on the Zumo with MapInstall. The U.S. maps come with versions for both Basecamp or Zumo. The picture I posted earlier in this thread shows how much detail you can expect, the maps are updated weekly, and you CAN place the maps in internal memory. I have only found one feature missing, the display of the current speed limit.