XT2 - How do you Create a Route with Waypoints on the XT2 - Solved

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

XT2 - How do you Create a Route with Waypoints on the XT2 - Solved

Post by jfheath »

Help Please: Up until now, all Zumos have had a facility to build a route using points located by the Zumo itself.

I'm not talking about the Route Planner map. I was expecting to be able to build a route up from saved locations or by searching. Create the route list, save it, Zumo calculates a route. Just like we could on the XT, 590, 595, 660, .....

Am I missing something ? What is the purpose of saving Waypoints, if you cannot build a route from them ?

Update

Its OK - I found it. Sort of.

You need to have created a route with a start and an end point, and it has to be named and saved.
After that you can load the route from Apps -> Routes. The map that is displayed has a button - 'List'.

You can then use the familiar list to select a point (the start) tap the plus button + and select how you want to find your new place. A Very full list of options is provided - including waypoints and search of Michelin, Trip Advisor, ......) It adds it as a Via Point.

It may be changed to a shaping point, but it will likely be located on the fastest route between adjacent via points. I do not see the point in that, and is an issue carried over from the 595 and XT. I could not add a new point after a shaping point.

I think I will have a ready made two point route, load that and make a copy (the option exists on the menus), then edit the copy.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jfheath
Great Britain

Re: XT2 - Query - How do you Create a Route with Waypoints on the XT2

Post by jfheath »

I'll answer my own post.

The above method works, but I found the correct way to create a new route from scratch without using the map.

Route planner -> Search magnifying glass -> Waypoint or whatever.

The map is the focus of attention, and it reverts to the map when you have selected your point. Then add another, and another. Use the Start/Stop or shaping buttons to select the type of point that you want before searching for it.
Select the route segment and Stop / shaping point before tapping the map or using the search button again.

Or adjust the sequence using the 3 bar menu (list) to move the points into the correct order.

Logical, neat, always going back to map to see the results.
Also able to set routing preference for each segment between two vias.

Its just new and unfamiliar, coming from all Zumos before. I like it.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Just tried this on my XT and it works very well. Based on how previous Garmin units behaved, my fat fingers would not have even bothered to try it until I saw your post. Thanks!

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

danham wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:14 pm Just tried this on my XT and it works very well. Based on how previous Garmin units behaved, my fat fingers would not have even bothered to try it until I saw your post. Thanks!
Dan, I just tried it on my XT and found it to be quite difficult.
I created a start point.
Then did Add Location > Browse Map to try to create a route.
Previously added locations do not appear on the map making in impossible to place the next location using the previous one as a reference.
I then tried adding a destination point followed by attempting to Add Location > Browse Map. No previously selected locations are displayed on the map making it very difficult to build a route. What am I missing that you found worked well?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Peobody wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:24 pm
danham wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:14 pm Just tried this on my XT and it works very well. Based on how previous Garmin units behaved, my fat fingers would not have even bothered to try it until I saw your post. Thanks!
Dan, I just tried it on my XT and found it to be quite difficult.
I created a start point.
Then did Add Location > Browse Map to try to create a route.
Previously added locations do not appear on the map making in impossible to place the next location using the previous one as a reference.
I then tried adding a destination point followed by attempting to Add Location > Browse Map. No previously selected locations are displayed on the map making it very difficult to build a route. What am I missing that you found worked well?
I don’t have my XT handy, but if I recall correctly I used search to find saved locations and used them to fill in the start and finish first. Then, ditto for Vias along the way. I only used the Browse map function if I had no saved location in the XT and so needed to tap and create a via, for which I zoomed way in.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Apps - Trip Planner - New Trip

Select Start - Favourites - select
Select Destination -> Favourites -> select point

Add location -> Favourites -> select point

etc

Next

Dont forget to save it.