formatted Garmin 396 Main Drive

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
cgdsclk
Turkey

formatted Garmin 396 Main Drive

Post by cgdsclk »

I formatted Garmin 396 Main Drive while trying to format its SD Card.
Called support but they said no wayy :(
Is there anybody to help me to recover the drive. I just bought it and i am so angry to myself :((
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: formatted Garmin 396 Main Drive

Post by jfheath »

Oops.

You would need to find someone with a backup of their original unit - including the hidden .System folder

The first thing I do when I get a unit is to unhide the .System folder and take a full backup. The result is quite sizeable.

BUT - I have never had to find out whether or not copting that back onto an empty .System file actually works. I suspect (but don't know) that there is a file on there somewhere that identifies your machine uniquely.

Just on the offchance - have you tried connecting it to Garmin Express - see if it has any updates ?? I don't expect for one second, that will work - but I think we are well into clutching at straws territory.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
cgdsclk
Turkey

Post by cgdsclk »

Dear jfheath

Thanks for your reply,

Firstly, I tried to connect Garmin Exp. but it didnt connect, actually device freeze at the beginning warning screen. So Mac did not recognize it.
Second, I think i can try to find system files as you said.

But then i got some idea, I think i can find a guy, who can connect to its bios or root drive or something like that, then maybe can recover what i deleted. than install it again.

Technically its possible i guess :) but only i guess,

So thanks again, i will let you know
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Possible - files are not actually deleted when you delete them. They are just marked as deleted, and the space that they used is freed up for anything else to write on top of them. I don't know whether that is possible on a USB device - I've done it on a hard drive, never on a USB device.

Recovery after a format is harder, but is still possible. I have managed it in with photos - but naming of the files was problematic.

Do not put anything into internal storage until someone has had a go at this. You have no chance if you write anything into Internal Storage.

Good luck !!
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Totti
Finland

Post by Totti »

Maybe You can use the Garmin Cure software to get Your device operational again? I think that by using this software You will lose all Your data that was on Your device before You formatted it. But at least You can get it up and running again.
I got mine (395LM) fixed with this software. Don't know for sure that it will work with 396. You need the Garmin Cure and the original system files.
Take a look at this discussion on this forum:

viewtopic.php?t=1442&start=10

Best of luck and please let Us know the results.
”On se kumma kun tehdään kunniaa sille joka löi jalkansa poikki.
Vaan se jolla on päässä huminaa, sitä poloista häpeää kaikki.” Timo Rautiainen & Neljäs Sektori
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I wondered about this but you need the files appropriate to your Zumo, and the download site mentioned on that link has long since disappeared.

There is a site called Wayback MAchine that systematically takes copies of other websites at intervals, and there are copies on that. I also prepared some detailed notes on how to use it. I'll go hunting, but probably not today.

You need 3 files - 2 programs and a data file.
The programs are available from www.javawa.nl/ge-upgrade590to595.html
Click the link for SoftwareMissing (for Updater) and the link for RGNTool

Yes - I know the link is for the upgrade from a 590 to a 595 - but the process is identical for your machine - except the name of the gcd file.

You also need the GCD file for your machine. You used to be able to get them from gawisp.com/perry - but that site has gone.
Wayback machine (google it) has archive versions, and I checked it out this morning and managed to download a file. Now it says that it cannot find any ! It shows the links to the files but they no longer work for me.

I can't believe that they have just disappeared. It is possible that they have deleted them from the server, and I managed to get hold of a cached version

Basically you need the rgntool to convert the gcd file to an rgn file.
You need the updater to install the rgn file onto your Zumo.

Ive got notes that use the instructions that are now on the javawa site (above), which I have worked through and illustrated and added more useful detail.

But first you have to get hold of the gcd file from somewhere. edit: I managed to find a few links that worked on a recent backup - but the 396 was not listed.

Make another phone call to tech support. ask questions like if you get someone elses copy of GUPDATE.gcd - will that work ? (Someone on here suggested that it worked for them - they sent him a copy.

cgdsclk
Turkey

Post by cgdsclk »

Dear jfheath

hi again,

I download all apps and files that i can find as you mentioned. I borrow my friends windows pc :) i tried all but pc didnt recognize garmin device as a drive yet. i succeed to enter system mode, i could pass screen calibration. than it says press ok to confirm, after that it freezes. so i am still trying alot of solutions.

Garmin support says, we can exchange the unit for 150 USD. thay say nothing can be done for the device.

I will let you know about the news in a few days..
cgdsclk
Turkey

Post by cgdsclk »

I will try this thread now, thanks for your reply

I will let you know any changes
Totti wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:20 am Maybe You can use the Garmin Cure software to get Your device operational again? I think that by using this software You will lose all Your data that was on Your device before You formatted it. But at least You can get it up and running again.
I got mine (395LM) fixed with this software. Don't know for sure that it will work with 396. You need the Garmin Cure and the original system files.
Take a look at this discussion on this forum:

Best of luck and please let Us know the results.
cgdsclk
Turkey

Post by cgdsclk »

hi everyone,

i followed this thread

at the end, i can see garmin drives, main drive and sd card, but still can not connect the garmin express to download software. how can i install its original software? i download this file, but i think i am doing something wrong?

https://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/zumo

any suggestions?
cgdsclk
Turkey

Post by cgdsclk »

here is the update,

i install cure software of 396, i can see device as a drive.
than i run a recover app and nearly all files recovered. copy all of them to internal drive.
than i install original software on it with garmin cure,
then it restarts, "loading maps" and now it stuck at garmin logo,
garmin express still do not recognize the device.

only garmin web updater recognized a short time only, but also it says file currupted.

still trying other solutions, will let you know in a meanwhile