Sending routes to XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
wingnit
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Sending routes to XT2

Post by wingnit »

I am looking to get a ZUMO XT2 for my bike, however I need to know how to take a route that has been created with Basecamp or Mapsource and move the routes from the computer to the ZUMO XT2. I have a ZUMO 660 and 665, along with other Garmin GPS's, transferring routes from the computer to those GPS's are very easy. Garmin has made transfers so difficult with the new units. I SURE DON'T KNOW WHY GARMIN HAS TO MESS UP A GOOD THING BY TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL. Can anyone help me do this please.
Sean OZ
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times
Australia

Re: Sending routes to XT2

Post by Sean OZ »

I transfer any route from BaseCamp to my Zumo XT2 (Via PC), using the original USB cable it came supplied with. BaseCamp will warn you that it doesn't support the ZUMO XT2 device, but just ignore the warning and you go ahead and transfer the route.

I also notice on my Windows 11 laptop, that it takes a minute or so before BaseCamp to recognize that the XT2 is connected to the PC. It may also take a minute or so, before BaseCamp recognizes the XT2 as an attached device.

Until Garmin works out how to get the fairly useless TREAD APP to work correctly, I'm staying well away from it.
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Sometimes down, but never beaten. :-)
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

Thanks Sean, I am having that problem that the program does not recognize the GPS too. It sucks, why do they mess with success. So stupid. :oops: :oops:
Sean OZ
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

What sort of system are you using to run BaseCamp?
Sometimes it can be something as simple, as a "bad" connecting cable between the PC and the XT2.
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Sometimes down, but never beaten. :-)
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Sean OZ wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:53 am What sort of system are you using to run BaseCamp?
Sometimes it can be something as simple, as a "bad" connecting cable between the PC and the XT2.
I went through the OP's issues too with a new XT and the 595 before that. Although I have several identical looking cables, I have exactly 1 that will work with the 595. On my laptop I have 3 USB ports but the XT simply won't work with 1 of them. It took a while with trial & error over the yrs but I have a permanent post-it with details at my desk now.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

Sean, I'm using Window 10 and I have a ZUMO 665 that I have used on my Goldwing and transferring from Mapsource or Basecamp to the 665 it is done in seconds. The XT2 is so nice and smarter, you have to wonder why they need to fight success. Such a let down. I have 700+ routes all over the country that I have been putting together for years and can't transfer any of them to a much nicer GPS.
smfollen
Subscriber
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times
United States of America

Post by smfollen »

I too am using Basecamp on a Windows 10 PC and have been successful in transferring routes to my XT2. If you plug the XT2 into the PC, Basecamp will warn you that it is not officially supported but it works just fine. It can take a few minutes for the PC, and then Basecamp to recognize the connected zumo.

I have found it quicker and cleaner to use an sd card. Remove the sd card from the XT2 and insert it into the PC. Basecamp will recognize the sd card as coming from the zumo, but don't drag routes to it because you can't specify file name(s) that way. Instead, in Basecamp, select the route(s) you want, then, at the top menu, select File->Export->Export Selection. This allows you to specify the sd card as the destination and also allows you to name the file as desired. That makes it cleaner when you get back to the zumo. Note that you can create a file for each route, or put multiple routes into a single file. Once complete, eject the sd card from the pc, insert into the zumo, power it on, and import the files / routes as desired. An added benefit is that you have a backup copy of the route on the sd card in case you want to re-import later.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Do you have Garmin Express running in the background ?

Open it up, and use the gear icon to set the option not to run at startup and not to in the background.

Or press Ctrl - Alt - Del together to start the task manager. Kill Express.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

wingnit wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:19 am I am looking to get a ZUMO XT2 for my bike, however I need to know how to take a route that has been created with Basecamp or Mapsource and move the routes from the computer to the ZUMO XT2. I have a ZUMO 660 and 665, along with other Garmin GPS's, transferring routes from the computer to those GPS's are very easy. Garmin has made transfers so difficult with the new units.

Can anyone help me do this please.
I've just re-read your original post.

Transfer of routes from Basecamp to the XT2 is the same process that you used with the 660 and is identical to the method used with all if the Zumos after the 660 and 665.

You don't have an XT2 ? I'm wondering where you are getting your information from, because it is either or incomplete, or wrong, - or you are reading what people have written about the newer methods of transfer, and assumed that the older methods do not work.

The XT2 may use the same method for transferring that are available with your 660/5 using a USB cable or by placing the gpx files directly onto a memory card.

It also has other methods.

You will read that Badecamp is not compatible with the XT2. It means that Basecamp cannot create routes that use the newer features of the XT2 - but it can still transfer the routes from Basecamp and those routes work perfectly well

The 590 was a massive step up from the 660. I loved my 660, and absolutely hated the 590 when I got it. Most of what I knew about planning routes with the 660 changed completely. But that wasn't the Zumos fault. It was me and the very superficial instructions from Garmin. The XT2 is a few generations later. It will be a steep learning curve.

There is a link in my sig about the Zumo 590 and 595. Click it. Download the pdf. The first two chapters are particularly relevant to route planning on the Zumos that came out after the 660 and 665 - and are still relevant for the XT2
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

Thank you jfheath, I'm going to look into what you wrote in your reply. I just did what you said in express and I will try and see if it works. More to follow!