Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

I just learned that the XT has a Garmin Powerswitch app

Post by Peobody »

I received one of those Garmin Drive "Firmware update" notifications today. Express identified it as an update to the Garmin Powerswitch app. I had never heard of it. Now that I have researched it, I am wondering why it is installed on a satnav marketed for motorcycles. Is it realistic to assume that motorcyclists will add a Garmin Powerswitch switch box to their bike and then control connected accessories using that XT app? (rhetorical question) This should be an app that is made available with the purchase of a Powerswitch switch box. Everybody better hurry up and install this "Firmware update". You won't be able to live without it. :roll:
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Rofor
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Re: I just learned that the XT has a Garmin Powerswitch app

Post by Rofor »

Sadly this has absolutely nothing to do with an motorcycle satnav - this bullshit, as same as the backwards camera(!), was introduced when Garmin decides to merge the Zumo XT and the Tread firmwares, starting with the jump vom version 2.90 to version 5.90! :( On an four-wheel offroad vehicle this functions maybe make sense, but for the Zumo XT they are completely nonsense...

As i like to say - this was the day when the problems with the Zumo XT began, with version 2.90 where the most problems eliminated and the unit worked well. But than somebody at Garmin Software engineering had a 'good idea'... :?
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but when I'm on a road trip in my car, I use the Zumo there as well, as it's a really nice-looking screen. A person might have gizmos and gadgets they want to control in there.... but I can't imagine wanting to bother!
colirv
Subscriber
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

The XT2 (which I don't have) is compatible with Powerswitch, the XT (which I do have) isn't. I quite like the idea of being able to control ancillaries such as running lights and heated clothing simply by pressing a button on the Zumo.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
Rofor
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Hmmm - i don't think that this such a 'great' idea to include this in a motorcycle satnav!

I also don't think that everybody has his satnav every time on his bike - i for myself use the Zumo XT only when i'm on tour with my motorbike! The rest of the time i use my motorbike, the Zumo XT stays at home and if i don't know the exact address of a shop, street or so on, i use google maps and spoken advices through my headset...

As i said before - There are many (more or less - take the RUT problem!) big faults in the firmware of the Zumo, which Garmin is aware. But sadly they give a sh*t on the needs of 'normal' users, even if they pin those errors down and even get an easy solution to repair them (ask @jfheath. Instead of repairing this faults, they gave us support for a backwards-driving-camera and a powerswitch unit. :cry:

Sorry - i can't see a need for such unnecessary things on a motorbike, and especially the Zumo XT is a 'pure' motorbike satnav - and i really think i'm not alone with this!
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Rofor wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:19 pm Hmmm - i don't think that this such a 'great' idea to include this in a motorcycle satnav!

I also don't think that everybody has his satnav every time on his bike - i for myself use the Zumo XT only when i'm on tour with my motorbike! The rest of the time i use my motorbike, the Zumo XT stays at home and if i don't know the exact address of a shop, street or so on, i use google maps and spoken advices through my headset...

As i said before - There are many (more or less - take the RUT problem!) big faults in the firmware of the Zumo, which Garmin is aware. But sadly they give a sh*t on the needs of 'normal' users, even if they pin those errors down and even get an easy solution to repair them (ask @jfheath. Instead of repairing this faults, they gave us support for a backwards-driving-camera and a powerswitch unit. :cry:

Sorry - i can't see a need for such unnecessary things on a motorbike, and especially the Zumo XT is a 'pure' motorbike satnav - and i really think i'm not alone with this!
One could carry this even further to consider how dangerous it is to have a headset and/or to conduct any kind of business whatsoever, business like using google maps. Sorry, but I just don't see the need for such unnecessary things on a motorcycle.

My point is- just because YOU don't use a feature does NOT mean others should be prohibited from doing so.

I'm the opposite- my XT is mounted on my bike every single time I ride. Here where I live and ride routinely, cell service (hence google maps) is too unreliable to be depended on. I've been places where there is zero cell service for 45-60 minutes in any direction.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Rofor
Austria

Post by Rofor »

To clear this out - i'm not against 'new things', i'm against adding things in the firmware, which are even not compatible with the Zumo XT (Powerswitch, officially only Zumo XT2) or make completely no sense on a motorbike (backwards-driving-camera) and not caring about known errors!

For me it looks more and more that we Zumo XT users where the beta-testers for Garmin Treat and Garmin Zumo XT2...

As i said a few times - the problems started, when Garmin chooses to 'join' the firmware of the Treat with the Zumo XT! The last 'real' Zumo XT firmware was v2.90 and than came the jump to v5.90, which gave us Powerswitch- and Backwards-Camera-Support....
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

The Powerswitch has always been compatible with the XT. The Powerswitch app has been listed with all the other Apps since I received it in 2022. I don't know how the app could possibly be updated without a firmware change.

If I wanted to rant about unrelated software updates, it would be about Garmin Express, which gets an update every time they release a new device. How about just providing a single, device-specific updater, which will not get broken when some unrelated product is released?
Austria

Post by Rofor »

That's interesting - on Garmin Germany and Garmin Austria, the Powerswitch is only compatible with the Zumo XT2!

Garmin Germany - https://www.garmin.com/de-DE/p/718849/
Garmin Austria - https://www.garmin.com/de-AT/p/718849/

If you scroll down, Zumo XT2, Treat, Overlander, RV 895, RV 1095 are listed as compatible - and also the Garmin Powerswitch App...
Screenshot of Garmin PowerSwitch™ _ Kompakte, digitale Schaltbox.jpg
Screenshot of Garmin PowerSwitch™ _ Kompakte, digitale Schaltbox.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 894 times