Using shaping/via points for Rever or Google kml files

Got a question about any other routing software that you use for creating routes and transferring to your Zumo? Then post in here and we will try our best to help
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Using shaping/via points for Rever or Google kml files

Post by lkraus »

https://youtu.be/81R5TjPrVVI

There is a very interesting utility in the video description that imports a route file and can add an adjustable number of shaping points between via points. It can also add a sequential prefix to each routing point name.

My route planning is 99.9% in Basecamp, but I thought this might be useful for those using other route planners. I did try renaming points in a route gpx from Basecamp, but that did not work.
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: Using shaping/via points for Rever or Google kml files

Post by jfheath »

I was going to ask a separate question - but came across this post and thought it was worth a bump.
That looks as though it could be a very useful utility.

I had a look at Rever last night and found it hard to understand how to get it to work as I think it should.
I was not impressed with what I managed to achieve. I'm sure that must be a criticism of me rather than of Rever.

What I managed to achieve
I created a route of 6 route points.
Curved roads between route points
Shifted order of route points
Saved route.
Exported it as gpx
Loaded into XT2 and into BC.

Issues.
I could not find a way of making route points into Via / Shaping
After deleting a route point and adding a new one, that section of route became a straight line (solved - user error - deselect pen tool)
The gpx file contained the plot of the route and reproduced correctly in BC and on XT2
The route had no intermediate points - only start and finish
All route points plotted in Rever were sent to BC and XT2 as stored Waypoints.
None of the waypoints formed any part of the route.
In the Zumo, if the route recalculated, it lost the route completely and plotted start to finish.

I must be missing something. That can't be it, can it ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC