Explore on the GPS - XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 50 times
Great Britain

Explore on the GPS - XT2

Post by Oop North John »

I know realise that having an "unorganised" folder is bad news, you need to put everything into a collection otherwise you see multiple waypoints if they used in more than one route (I guess).

So now I have two collections, and I'd like them both to have the same waypoints in them. Collection 1, no problem, collection 2 will not let me load them in, is that because they're already in #1? I think so, as when I delete them from #1 I can put them into 2.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: Explore on the GPS - XT2

Post by jfheath »

Is this using collections on the XT screen ?

Any waypoint, any track, any route can belong to any number of collections.

So for example you may have a tour coming up. So you could put everything into Tour2024. But also have some of it in Day 1, some in Day 2 etc.

Then you could see eveything by turning on the Tour2024 collection; and just see day 1 by turning off Tour2024 and turning on Day 1. The trick is to have every collection turned off except one.

For Waypoints on the XT , I think you select Where to ->Favourites / Saved-> choose the Waypoint concerned and in the information section you can add it to any of the collections.

But I seem to remember it being easier to deal with on the website of the apps.

I don't have my XT set up to access the Explore database at the moment - and my phone is currently set up for the XT2 and tread app.

This doesn't quite cover what you are after - but some of it may be relevant - and surrounding pages.

app.php/ZXT-P59

I never found a way of creating collections on the XT itself. I set up 5 collections with generic names using the Explore website, so that I always had some available if I needed them on the XT screen.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Oop North John
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Just to clarify its the XT2.

Tried to cross the eye on collection #1 and still the waypoints won't load into #2, with no warning.

The waypoints and also routes can be seen in the "Where to?" with the collection with them having the eye crossed out, so maybe I'm looking at a feature rather than a problem? Not helped by how similar the views are in collections / where to etc, which might also be a feature as well :D
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Pm with link sent.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Oop North John
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

And the next question, if I may, what's the best way of deleting the files that have been sent to the XT2 internal storage, which I've imported into a collection, and then no longer need? I see lots of routes and tracks that I have used, and no longer want them in the XT2 after deleting them for the routes etc.

Edit:
I had been using a SD card for also transferring items, and deleted the contents of the GPX file, and this seems to have cleared the internal drive as well (I think).
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The XT2 itself does a pretty good job of getting rid of unwanted items.
eg to delete all routes, tracks, waypoints:

Click 'Explore'
Tap the green bar near the top and choose 'All'. All items are listed.
Tap the 3 dot button, right hand side of the green bar
Click 'Select and Edit'
Tick the itesm you want to select to delete - or tap the double box with a tick from the green bar to tick all of them.
Click the rubbish bin icon on the green bar.

------------------

This removes them from the Explore lists - but some items can still be imported from the gpx files that are in internal storage or on the sd card
To remove these, you have to delete th files (The XT2 actually gives the location of the gpx files, and the name.

If you want to remove these then that is a job for a file managager, when the USB cable is connected.
First delete everything from Explore - as described above.
Optionally - delete all Waypoints, all history (from the Where To ? Menu)

Then connect the USB cable, and in file manager in the GPX folders
Get rid of all gpx files except position.gpx and CurrentTrackLog.gpx.
Current.gpx contains all of the imported routes, tracks and waypoints data that are in the Zumo
Temp.gpx contains files transferred to INternal Storage from Basecamp.

Disconnect. Reboot the XT2 and everything will have gone and will not be available to re-import.
Current.gpx is recreated at boot time - with nothing in it.