New install created 8 duplicate custom waypoint symbols

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

New install created 8 duplicate custom waypoint symbols

Post by Peobody »

On my new PC I just discovered a directory in my Documents folder named "My Garmin" that contains a folder named "Custom Waypoints Symbols". That folder contains eight .png files, all containing the same image of small square with a blue dot in the center. It's time stamp correspond with the first run of the newly installed Basecamp. This folder does not on my old PC. Does anyone know what triggered its creation and/or whether there is a setting within Basecamp that will be looking for that folder? Immediately after starting the new Basecamp I has connected the XT to insure it would be recognized so perhaps the reading by Basecamp of the XT internal storage resulted in this? That doesn't make sense though considering the folder is not on the old PC. I hate being dazed and confused. Enlightenment needed please.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Re: New install created 8 duplicate custom waypoint symbols

Post by lkraus »

I don't know why you did not have that folder on the old PC. I can't get rid of it.

I have it, and the 8 .png files, all dated last November.

I deleted all of the My Garmin folder, but it is re-created as soon as I launch Basecamp.

If I create a random waypoint and Open it for editing, then scroll to the bottom of the available icons, there is a Custom section with eight blue dots. I think these are just placeholders. If I replace one with another small .png file, the change will show after restarting BC. Filenames apparently have to remain 000.png to 007.png. Sizes from 16x16 to 48x48 seem to work, I did not try larger or smaller.
custom.jpg
custom.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 964 times
I seldom bother to change waypoint symbols in BC. I don't think they transfer to my XT, but could be wrong...
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I figured something out. Both my old and new PC's have two users, "Admin" and "Me". On the old installation the Basecamp installation was installed by the Admin user. It has the "My Garmin" directory under the "Admin" documents directory. On the new PC the Basecamp installation was done by the "Me" user hence the "My Garmin" directory under the "Me" documents directory.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've seen those weird symbols as well. Wondered what they were and since -as you say - they do not transfer to the Zumo I lost no sleep over them. I think that they DO transfer, but the Zumo ignores them.

I use custom symbols if I am getting a screen shot if a map or route list and want to emphasise particular type of point in the documentation. But that is all.

On the Zumo, i'm quite happy with the flag and disc. The new symbols from explore on the XT are a waste of time - too small to see what they are and if in a route the flags and dots are superimposed. Some people must like them though.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC