Mapinstall

waspanman
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Mapinstall

Post by waspanman »

This may have been covered before, If you are loading additional maps on an older unit i.e. Zumo 660 ( due to the memory limit)be aware that even the current download of Mapinstall has not progressed beyond CN 2023.1. Just spent a couple of days trying to work around cannot authenticate map messages, and routes which cannot recalculate due to having no roads near the start point. I am now trying Basecamp Mapinstall, we'll see!!
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 361 times
Great Britain

Re: Mapinstall

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp Mapinstall is the same as Mapinstall. I'm not really sure what issue you're having? Both can only deal with a map that's already been installed to your computer. What map is there?
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

The unit was and is displaying Cannot Authenticate Maps, threw out all non English menu items to create sufficient space as directed, Express can't detect an expanded memory.
Uninstalled old version of mapinstall along with basecamp mapsource and express and installed afresh, took me a while to notice that the newly acquired mapinstall was at 2023.1, not the current maps on my computer i.e. 2025.1 and doesn't seem to be able to be updated
Have been offered a trade in trade up deal by Garmin will follow that up.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

If Express does not see the memory card or MapInstall does not show a memory card in the Device: dropdown, the card may be corrupted. Try a different card (formatted as FAT32).

The version numbers being mentioned are for map versions, not MapInstall. The current MapInstall software is version 4.2.4 (4.3.6 for Mac) and has not been changed since June, 2022.

If Express says the 660 map is current, you can still choose Map Details, then Map Options to re-install or change the Zumo map, or reinstall the map on the computer for Basecamp & MapInstall.

You should be able to install at least a portion of an NT 2025.10 map from Basecamp using MapInstall.

Since Garmin has discontinued further 660 map updates for NT Europe, it might be time to consider switching to OSM maps anyway.
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

Downloaded Mapinstall like any new user when opened, the map bar at the bottom said 2023.1, not 2025.1 as per the maps already installed on Mapsource and Basecamp, so no option to load maps to the unit via this means, the current advice seems to be not to use Basecamp with the 660.
I eventually used Basecamp to install maps via the internal memory on the card using Basecamp Mapinstall. This was successful for one unit, but not the other. The routes I later downloaded were flagged as being created on maps not loaded in the unit (despite being recalculated in Mapsource prior to being downloaded), so had to be recalculated in the unit, this was not possible on the unit where the maps could not be authenticated as the device said there were no roads near the start point. For information My Mapsource and Basecamp applications are both at 2025.1.
Should satellite navigation really be this involved?, or have Garmin really forgotten what user friendly means.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Your posts are very confusing. MapInstall, however you access it, can only install maps that have been preloaded to your PC by Express. However your device will only accept/display maps that are unlocked for that device. If you've installed maps for one device to your PC then you can't simply install that map to a different device.
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

The issue here is that Express will only give you a small segment of the European maps, based on the available memory the rest has to be loaded using
Mapinstall to the SD card
The units can as you say only be loaded with maps they are registered for, all my units, two 660's and an XT are all on Express and both Mapsource and Basecamp are loaded with the latest update 2025.1, Mapinstall though when I downloaded it was at 2023.1 so when I first loaded my 660 from it the maps were 2023.1 I could not find a way to synchronize Mapinstall with the Basecamp and Mapsource applications, not confusing at all really.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well I'm still confused as MapInstall is a program and is never 'at 2023.10' as you imply. What it will do is display what maps are on your PC that could be transferred to a connected device. However as I've never experienced the issue you seem to be experiencing I can't help further. Good luck.
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

Confused is what I was too, I have just opened Mapinstall and it is now on 2025.1, click the arrow and it offers 2024.1 and 2022.1 as well, but not the greyed out box with 2023.1 displayed when I downloaded it.