Updating an old 550

CRracer
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Re: Updating an old 550

Post by CRracer »

BTW, just using Basecamp with SD card inserted works great, and I don't get that slow connection notification, when connecting the zumo.
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well you could copy the map files to a memory stick or another card and use that instead. I have a stick permanently installed on the back of my PC for just that purpose.
CRracer
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

How does that get Basecamp or mapsource to see the maps? Or are you talking about using them for a different purpose?
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

It won't with MapSource, which can't read maps from devices either. BaseCamp though reads maps from any removable drive. Maps have to be in a folder named Garmin on the drive.
Bluto
Canada

Post by Bluto »

carolinarider09 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:51 pm I tired to look at the Garmin website and after waiting 30 seconds it still had not loaded. I have an active 550 that was repaired by Palmdr a few yeas or so ago. It has Lifetime maps. This is how I upload/add new maps to my 550. Last done a few months ago. This assumes that the 550 has a Lifetime map subscription for that device. As noted above, it is linked to the device.

Here is how to update the maps on a Zumo 550 with lifetime maps. It requires an SD Card (I used an 8 gig card) and access to a computer with Garmin Express loaded and two USB connections so you can connect both the Zumo and the 8 gig card.

You connect the Zumo (I took the SD Card out of mine) and the 8 gig card (freshly formatted in FAT 32) to the computer and copy all the files from the Zumo's memory to the SD Card. In essence cloning the Zumo's internal memory.

You now eject your Zumo 550 from the computer, leaving the SD Card connected.

Once done, you can launch Garmin Express with the SD Card still installed and it will see it as your Zumo 550.

It will ask if you want to update maps (if new maps are available) and you just tell it to go ahead (well you actually have to use the mouse)

In about two or so hours, the new maps will be updated to the SD Card.

Now you have to do the following in the Garmin Folder on the SD Card

Rename the map files (in the Garmin Folder) from gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma and gmapprom.unl to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp,gma and gmapsupp.unl. You will need to do this after Express has finished installing the map on the SD. The map files must remain in the \Garmin folder on the SD card.

I then deleted all the other folders (except the Garmin Folder) from the SD Card, ejected the SD Card from my computer and put it into my Zumo 550.

Start your 550 and the maps will be downloaded or should I say, linked, to your device.

I just did this and now have the 2019.10 maps for North America on my device (lower 49). I am now going to go back to the SD Card and put the Audible and MP3 folders back on the card and re-load the music I had there.
I followed this procedure word-for-word but when I put the card into the Zumo, it said it was loading maps (maybe it always does that when a new card in inserted ?) but when I plug the Zumo into Garmin Express is still says I have Canada + Border States 2018.30, i.e. same as before I did the 'update'.

One thing I don't get is: nowhere in this procedure is there anyplace where a particular, i.e. newer, map is selected. When I insert the SD card with the Garmin folders copied to it into the PC, Garmin Express sees the card but doesn't offer any map updates, so I clicked: 'Map Options' /'Change Map' the it seems to be doing an update but no indication of what.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

My apologies, I have not used my Zumo 550 since sometimes around the first of the year. It has some issues with the touch screen and I just decided to let it "age".

I could have the screen replace by the Palm DR. but....

When I wrote the instructions, I tired to test them by following them exactly. So, again my apologies for not being able to provide more information.