BASECAMP AND XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Frogman1
United States of America

BASECAMP AND XT2

Post by Frogman1 »

What a pain, I understand Basecamp is not supported by the XT2 (or is it the other way around)? I started with the old 550 through BMW Nav 6 and now to the XT2 with basecamp. I plan my routes and multi-day trips with basecamp. I understand there is a way to copy a GPX file (in Basecamp) to the XT2? HOW?? Please explain how I accomplish this task!

Also, why doesn't my apple computer see the XT2 when I plug it in? Garmin Express see it, but not the computer. How do I copy and GPX file is the computer doesn't see it?

Hope I said that right.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Re: BASECAMP AND XT2

Post by jfheath »

Frogman1 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:30 pm What a pain, I understand Basecamp is not supported by the XT2 (or is it the other way around)? I started with the old 550 through BMW Nav 6 and now to the XT2 with basecamp. I plan my routes and multi-day trips with basecamp. I understand there is a way to copy a GPX file (in Basecamp) to the XT2? HOW?? Please explain how I accomplish this task!
Basecamp does not support the NEW features that the XT2 has introduced. Things like collections and the ability to set a routing profile for each segement of a route. But it will still take a route that was prepared in Basecamp - because waypoints, via points, shaping points, tracks and the plot of a route - are all still supported by the XT2.

The XT2 may want to recalculate your route as soon as it is imported - I think that is because the XT2 uses a zūmo Motocycle profile name and Basecamp submits Motorcycle. Because the profiles names are different the Zumo recalculates.

[edit]Recent tests have shown that the XT2 will keep BC routes as planned - providing that nothin else demands it to recalculate .
As additional information on 20 Aug 2024, John Heath wrote:That was my observation from a couple of experiences. I have recently tested this properly - observing what happens at each stage of the transfer, import and load. I used a route which followed a reasonably straight main road made with Via points, then put in shaping points to create a zig zag route full of detours. Then I stripped out the shaping points in Basecamp.

The route was transferred and imported to the Zumo, without the shaping points. If the Zumo is going to recalculate it will revert to following the main road.

Neither the XT and the XT2 recalculated the route on transfer / import. It remained intact and ran perfectly under simulation, followingthe zig-zag course - now held in place only by the ghost points. I skipped a route point to check behaviour. The entire route was recalculated - and then followed the main road.
The route from any outside source (including Basecamp) is regarded as Imported - and that means you can expect odd behaviour if you deviate from the route. However - it has a Copy command for routes, and if you copy it and save it with a slightly different name - that copied route behaves like a 'Saved' route - one that is built on the Zumo itself. And that is then extremeley well behaved. It created the same route but with the mImported Byte set to 0 in the routes .Trip file.

You copy it in the same way - you can use Basecamp to transfer it to Internal Storage or to the SD card. It will ask you which collection to save it in - I suggest creating a new one and choosing that - the XT2 prompts you.
Or you can select the things you want in Basecamp and export all of them into a single GPX file, and then place that into the gpx folder in Internal Storage or the SD card. THis should be possible with the USB cable connected. Or you can pull out the SD card and place the gpx file into the GArmin/GPX folder.
Frogman1 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:30 pm Also, why doesn't my apple computer see the XT2 when I plug it in? Garmin Express see it, but not the computer. How do I copy and GPX file is the computer doesn't see it?
BC never did like to have Garmin Express running. And Express likes to load up when you start the computer. Two things:
1. Stop Garmin Express running in the background - use the gear icon, select General and untick the 2/3 tick boxes.
2. Then close down Express.

There is something else to do with Apple computers - someone else will have to explain that. I haven't got a clue about Apples.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

I open express, but where is the gear icon? Does the XT2 need to be connected? Help
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Frogman1 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:30 pm I open express, but where is the gear icon? Does the XT2 need to be connected? Help
Right side of the window title bar, next to the help question mark and the minimize/maximize/close icons.
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Click the image to see a larger pic.

Gear icon circled.

Untick all of the boxes.
Express.jpg
Express.jpg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

I have a Mac and there is no icon

[img]Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 01.57.22/img]
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 01.57.22.png
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 01.57.22.png (438.06 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 01.57.22.png
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 01.57.22.png (438.06 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

All I have been able to find is this:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=b ... TGUFDRPok8

I cannot check it out as I have never owned a Mac. Maybe you could confirm whether or not this still works.

Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

I did what it said and unchecked, now how do I know it's off?
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

Off topic, is there a thread one how to put music on a SSD for the XT2? I know it has to be in a MP3 file?
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

In a Pc you can launch task manager CTRL Alt Del to see which programs are running. But connect the XT2 with a usb cable - if it is running, then Express will open automatically. If it isn't you have to launch it yourself.

Music Put it in an MP3 folder. Use whatever folder structure you want, the Zumo just reads what it finds and it searches folders and subfolders. The info about albums and artists and tracks etc comes from the mp3 file itself. I use MP3/Artist/Albums/Tracks

Use MP3 rather than mp3. It used to matter. I dont know if it still does.