XT Routing problems

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Deepdiver51
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: XT Routing problems

Post by Deepdiver51 »

You guys are a mine of information. Thank you for your replies. I'll take them all into account and then hope I don't end up in Athens!
smfollen
Subscriber
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 18 times
United States of America

Post by smfollen »

I would highly recommend the posts "Zumo XT and Basecamp - Everything You Need To Know" here viewtopic.php?p=9356#p9356

A couple quick points to get Basecamp and the XT to calculate similar routes:
- Make sure you have loaded the current maps from the XT to Basecamp so that both are using the same map.
- Set routing preferences and avoidances to be consistent between the XT and Basecamp.
- Use enough shaping points to force the route over the roads you desire.

Yes, there is a learning curve, and the XT has its quirks, like anything else, but once you get there, I'd guess that you will be very happy with the XT.

As for Basecamp frustrations, it is a very powerful tool, but it too has a learning curve. I found the tutorials by EZ Moto Tim to be very helpful https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RyauzcFgK7
Deepdiver51
Great Britain

Post by Deepdiver51 »

I created all 8 routes months ago when Basecamp had 2024 maps. When I came to load them onto the XT I updated the maps (to 2025 versions and then received a warning that they wouldn’t load 100% correctly because the routes had been created on incompatible maps in Basecamp. I checked the maps on the device and found that the maps had indeed been loaded but with a few little glitches which I’ll negotiate around. I’m going to change the settings and do all the things that you kind, knowledgeable people have suggested and hope that everything works correctly, or as best as possible. I’m very grateful for your help, thank you.
Deepdiver51
Great Britain

Post by Deepdiver51 »

I’ve found though that Basecamp does not like roundabouts, of which there are 100,000s in Europe, one little bit, possibly because the developers don’t have many in USA.
colirv
Subscriber
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Deepdiver51 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:59 am I’ve found though that Basecamp does not like roundabouts, of which there are 100,000s in Europe, one little bit, possibly because the developers don’t have many in USA.
In what way does it not like them?
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

smfollen wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:08 pm I would highly recommend the posts "Zumo XT and Basecamp - Everything You Need To Know" here viewtopic.php?p=9356#p9356

A couple quick points to get Basecamp and the XT to calculate similar routes:
- Make sure you have loaded the current maps from the XT to Basecamp so that both are using the same map.
- Set routing preferences and avoidances to be consistent between the XT and Basecamp.
- Use enough shaping points to force the route over the roads you desire.

Yes, there is a learning curve, and the XT has its quirks, like anything else, but once you get there, I'd guess that you will be very happy with the XT.

As for Basecamp frustrations, it is a very powerful tool, but it too has a learning curve. I found the tutorials by EZ Moto Tim to be very helpful https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RyauzcFgK7
I would also add:
- when Base Camp maps are updated, manually recalculate the routes you have to the new maps and check to see if anything has changed with them. You should do this with routes on the device as well. It doesn't hurt to save your original routes by exporting from Base Camp to another file just to have the originals in case something does change. I alter the route name slightly after exporting to differentiate.
Deepdiver51 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:59 am I’ve found though that Basecamp does not like roundabouts, of which there are 100,000s in Europe, one little bit, possibly because the developers don’t have many in USA.
Yes, please. In what way does it not like them? In major metro suburbs here where roundabouts are plentiful I've never had a problem with them.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Deepdiver51
Great Britain

Post by Deepdiver51 »

Good thinking, I’ll back them up elsewhere with slightly different names.
Sometimes when creating a route and clicking along a road and I click maybe a mile along it will suddenly create a magenta line miles away to a roundabout, back on itself way past where I clicked, up to a roundabout miles behind me and then back to where I clicked. I was very careful to click on the correct side of the carriageway as I know that clicking on the wrong side will cause problems.
I’m very new to this and am learning from your help.
smfollen
Subscriber
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 18 times
United States of America

Post by smfollen »

In the U.S., we call them rotaries rather than roundabouts, but we certainly have them. Basecamp generally handles them just fine.

When I started to read your post, I was thinking you had clicked the wrong side of the road, but you have already addressed that.

Sorry, I don't know why what you describe is happening, hopefully someone else here has an idea.
My only though is - could something be causing Basecamp to be confused about driving on the right vs left side of the road? I don't know how that would happen.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 333 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Deepdiver51 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:09 pm Sometimes when creating a route and clicking along a road and I click maybe a mile along it will suddenly create a magenta line miles away to a roundabout, back on itself way past where I clicked, up to a roundabout miles behind me and then back to where I clicked. I was very careful to click on the correct side of the carriageway as I know that clicking on the wrong side will cause problems.
I sure sounds like it is creating u-turns in order to get you to that point between the roundabouts. Sometimes there is something about a specific route point that causes a problem. Deleting it and then creating a new one sometimes helps. Put the new one in a different location. Otherwise, you might be able to do without that route point by adding one beyond the second roundabout.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Deepdiver51
Great Britain

Post by Deepdiver51 »

smfollen wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:44 pm In the U.S., we call them rotaries rather than roundabouts, but we certainly have them. Basecamp generally handles them just fine.

When I started to read your post, I was thinking you had clicked the wrong side of the road, but you have already addressed that.

Sorry, I don't know why what you describe is happening, hopefully someone else here has an idea.
My only though is - could something be causing Basecamp to be confused about driving on the right vs left side of the road? I don't know how that would happen.
No, all the routes are in France and Italy where they drive on the right hand side of the road.

I’ve found that the first day’s route that I created was all cockeyed so I’ve tried to create a brand new one by putting a Waypoint at the start, one at the end and a number on the roads that I want to use (hoping it would use them when creating the route. No luck. It took me 50 miles from my desired route and then back into the destination town, 200 yards from the hotel and then on a 25 mile round trip out into the country and eventually back to the end point. No amount of Alt clicking and dragging could sort it out. Even when I created a short route with a Waypoint one mile from the hotel it still sent me out into the country. I’ve ensured that everything is placed on the correct side of the road and no one way streets are involved. Am I being stupid and doing something wrong???