XT not flagging closed roads

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Re: XT not flagging closed roads

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Mine is good for that, much better than the car.
Some traffic reports use overhead cameras or other user movements. I thought because both these metods would show a clear road (actually closed) that it does not report an issue

Horror story about a 7.0 AM flight nearly being missed !

Check setting in Drive Ap too. And report access to the app in your phone
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 333 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

raesewell wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:57 am I had all the options turned on and was connected to my phone which had signal.
I didn't see any confirmation about the options that were turned on. I know there is one on the XT in Settings > Traffic > Traffic alerts. Then I recall the Drive app needing to pair with the XT to allow notifications, which seemed to be a separate process from connecting the Drive app to the XT. I can't find a way to determine the status of that notification pairing though. I have an iPhone. I hope this isn't one of those situations where it works until it doesn't, requiring a forget device/reconnect cycle to get it working again.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
colirv
Subscriber
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I've had a look at the connection between my phone (Android) and the XT. Under "App notifications" my phone has Drive ticked. I have no notifications set under "Driver Assistance" for my XT, but under Bluetooth I have the Drive and music symbols visible in blue against my phone, which says "Connected". And I get traffic alerts on the move. I don't know if that helps!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

The XT can only report what it knows about. Chances are the road closures were not reported to whom ever supplies the information to the XT/Drive App.
I've experienced the same issues with closed sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway... closures of multiple years, yet still not known to Garming maping.
raesewell
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

Like I said I am happy overall with the XT but Tomtom certainly has traffic and roadworks nailed.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:48 am And I get traffic alerts on the move.
This confirms that notifications are working which addresses my concern that they weren't.
waspanman
Been liked: 12 times
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

For me, the most important thing is what the XT does when you reach a closed road, as far as I am aware, you cannot tell the unit that the road is closed. The woeful diversion button, located deep within the menus acts as though you can fly, though in truth Garmin have never mastered this aspect of their software. I have moved my diversion button so it is easier to access, but it just doesn't do the job.
I keep my 660 on so I can see where to go, it seems to cope better with these things, in fact, if I could buy a 660 with an XT screen and calculation speed, I would be happy.
jfheath
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Recently observed - The Zumo seems to have a limited range...It doesn't seem to be able to see beyond via points when reporting road closures.

I suspect that the traffic map cab see further - that seems to be restricted to the general direction of travel, rather than the route.

Whether this improves when more time has elapsed, I don't know. It is possible, as I have no need to keep going back when trying things at my desk
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

waspanman wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:27 am The woeful diversion button, located deep within the menus acts as though you can fly, though in truth Garmin have never mastered this aspect of their software. I have moved my diversion button so it is easier to access, but it just doesn't do the job.
What? There is a diversion button and it can be moved? Please tell me more about this.
Also, I'm curious what you mean by "doesn't do the job". I have seen both illogical routing, and absurd/unrideable routing around closures. Perhaps that behaviour is what you are referring to.
waspanman
Been liked: 12 times
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

From the XT manual.
Taking a Detour
You can take a detour for a specified distance along your route or detour around specific roads. This is useful if you encounter construction zones, closed roads, or poor road conditions.

From the map, select Menu > Edit Route. /(This means touch the three black dots lower left of map screen)
Select an option:
To detour your route for a specific distance, select Detour by Distance.

To detour around a specific road on the route, select Detour by Road.

Which is great if you know the area/road, sadly it still does not seem to know your route is shut