Garmin Tread App. Latest update has no route planner. Now what?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Sean OZ
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times
Australia

Garmin Tread App. Latest update has no route planner. Now what?

Post by Sean OZ »

G'Day everyone. First post for me here.

I have just purchased a new Zumo XT2, (It won't arrive in the mail for a couple of days yet) and as far as I can tell, the Tread App is a necessary part of being able to plan a routes and synch to the XT2. I have today downloaded the latest version of the Tread app to my iPhone, Version 2.08.29 released 2 weeks ago. All the garmin support pages and online videos, say that you first must use the on screen "Route Planner Icon" The problem is that there is no Route Planner Icon in the latest version!

I see that I can place way points and search for an address and use satellite imagery, but that's all it does.

I've deleted and reinstalled the Tread App for iPhone 3 times now and there is still no Route Icon on the screen. Support links go nowhere, and as all the support videos show the route icon being used, their also useless!

Attachment is a screenshot from iPhone, of all that you see when the Tread App is opened.

Any Ideas I what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks'
Sean.
Attachments
20240315_065922900_iOS.png
20240315_065922900_iOS.png (350.54 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Last edited by Sean OZ on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Sometimes down, but never beaten. :-)
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times
Poland

Re: Garmin Tread App. Latest update has no route planner. Now what?

Post by Zumek »

Stupid question - yout Zumo XT2 is paired with Tread app (using app menu to add Zumo to it)?
Last edited by Zumek on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean OZ
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

Thanks for the reply Zumek

! I haven't actually received the XT2 unit yet (should be here in a couple of days) I've just been trying to familiarize myself with the Tread App. Perhaps once it's paired to the XT2 unit, it will provide me with the "Route" icon. (fingers crossed!) Guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes. Will post back here how it goes. 8-)
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

I just checked new version on iPad Air - there is no routing option available without device paired/connected. But group riding works without any Garmin device - you can join group ride on your phone and see my location: https://tread.automotive.garmin.com/gro ... ode=KHXLTJ
Sean OZ
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

Thanks again Zumek!
Hopefully the app just needs to be paired with the XT2 when it arrives to give me the option of route planning in the Tread App.

Thanks' mate for checking out things using your iPad!
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
duckkarl
Has liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by duckkarl »

I can confirm that once you pair an XT2, the route planner icon will appear. I just got mine earlier this week.
Sean OZ
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

Thanks for the feedback Duckkarl.
It a relief to hear it!
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Rob801
United States of America

Post by Rob801 »

Kind of irritating it has to be connected to the Zumo to plan routes. Wanted to plan a quick route for an early morning ride while laying in bed with iPad before nodding off… and sync it with the gps in the morning. Could have sworn I was able to do this with the Tread app when I first got my XT2,
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 742 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Rob801 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:51 am Kind of irritating it has to be connected to the Zumo to plan routes. Wanted to plan a quick route for an early morning ride while laying in bed with iPad before nodding off… and sync it with the gps in the morning. Could have sworn I was able to do this with the Tread app when I first got my XT2,
I don't think the above is correct.
Once you have gone through the setup process, the Tread app works perfectly well without the XT2 being connected.
But until you have set it all set up, for which your XT2 needs to be paired, the routing icon will not appear.
To explain, jfheath wrote:
I am not sure what version of Tread I have, but I have installed and uninstalled it a few times on ipad and android phone in the last couple of weeks, so it will be the latest.

Your XT2 has to be registered and connected with your Garmin account in order to set it up for the very first time. The system needs to recognise YOUR device so that it knows what to synch. If you happen to have two units that will connect your phone / ipad and you plan a route - it needs to know where to send it.

I have observed this when using the explore.garmin.com web site, which uses the same database for the XT2 and XT zumos. When you want to synch, it lists your devices and checks asks you want to synch with. Otherwise I could get out my XT, plan some routes on that and delete some others - and that would completely mess up my XT2 the next time it synched with that.

I haven't got two XT2s, but I would assume that it does the same thing. I think that it recognises your connected device by its unique identification code. I know that Basecamp does that for some features.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Rob801
United States of America

Post by Rob801 »

jfheath wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:33 am
Rob801 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:51 am Kind of irritating it has to be connected to the Zumo to plan routes. Wanted to plan a quick route for an early morning ride while laying in bed with iPad before nodding off… and sync it with the gps in the morning. Could have sworn I was able to do this with the Tread app when I first got my XT2,
I don't think the above is correct.
Once you have gone through the setup process, the Tread app works perfectly well without the XT2 being connected.
But until you have set it all set up, for which your XT2 needs to be paired, the routing icon will not appear.
To explain, jfheath wrote:
I am not sure what version of Tread I have, but I have installed and uninstalled it a few times on ipad and android phone in the last couple of weeks, so it will be the latest.

Your XT2 has to be registered and connected with your Garmin account in order to set it up for the very first time. The system needs to recognise YOUR device so that it knows what to synch. If you happen to have two units that will connect your phone / ipad and you plan a route - it needs to know where to send it.

I have observed this when using the explore.garmin.com web site, which uses the same database for the XT2 and XT zumos. When you want to synch, it lists your devices and checks asks you want to synch with. Otherwise I could get out my XT, plan some routes on that and delete some others - and that would completely mess up my XT2 the next time it synched with that.

I haven't got two XT2s, but I would assume that it does the same thing. I think that it recognises your connected device by its unique identification code. I know that Basecamp does that for some features.
Thanks, that makes sense. Maybe my app got reset with an update. I will try pairing again and see If that allows me to create routes without the Zumo connected.