Acquiring Satellites issue

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Iantigerman
Great Britain

Re: Acquiring Satellites issue

Post by Iantigerman »

Thanks again, but…
Your first paragraph is quite telling but really doesn’t explain that when following a route (you know, the purple road), it suddenly goes doolally. (technical term!).

I hear what you say about mapping errors, I have downloaded the latest via WiFi, but the 395 doesn’t suffer in the same way.

1. You have missed a route point - or a route point was not accurately placed (but you say that its just a where to? route)
2. The Zumo has not recognised that you have passed the start point. eg you set off in a slightly different direction
3. Your maps are the issue. What maps are you using ? Have you installed additional maps such as the Open Source Maps (OSM).
4. You are not actually following a route - (although it sounds as though you are) - eg if you convert a track to a trip, the behaviour is different and that is also capable of displaying the repeated U turn issue.
5. You were facing the opposite direction from the way that the satnav thought you were facing (very common error) when you set off.

1. No missed point as there weren’t any, just a final destination.
2. Started journey from home drive which was the starting point.
3. My Maps? As above, I only use the maps from Garmin source and follow on updates from Garmin.
4. I’ll ignore that comment!!!
5. Yes. I understand that if you have pulled into a service station, the device may be facing a different compass point to the route that was being followed. The 395 does that as well, but it should sort itself out fairly quickly and easily once the bike continues on its original path. The slowness of updating position is quite disturbing on the XTin comparison to the 395.

All comments are appreciated, obviously, but I have no faith in the XT performing correctly and especially when I tour. It has been removed from the bike, boxed, and the 395 re-installed.
If you are not riding on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Triumph Tiger 850S
Interphone audio unit
Zumo XT
Front and Rear BlueSkysea dash cameras