Shared routes not working

sly
Great Britain

Shared routes not working

Post by sly »

I use Myroute app for routing and share with friends but when I transfer a GPX from MRA to the Zumo XT is will not follow the route and changes it. Anyone know why and how to correct it please?
Mzokk
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Re: Shared routes not working

Post by Mzokk »

What format are use using for transfer?
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

sly wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:47 pm I use Myroute app for routing and share with friends but when I transfer a GPX from MRA to the Zumo XT is will not follow the route and changes it. Anyone know why and how to correct it please?
MRA uses two formats of interest. GPX V1.1 and GPXv1.2

Gpx v1.2 includes the plot of the magenta line, and only the Via points. So if the XT recalculates, it it has no shaping points to work with. The route will be very different. If you use this, you MUST have 'off route recalculation' turned off. But when sharing with friends who have different maps, different settings, maybe traffic and road closure information coming into their satnav - you can never assume that the stanav will not recalculate.

Gpx v1.1 includes all route points but not the plot of the magenta line. So the XT calculates the route from the route points. The XT tends to head for faster roads, rather than calculating the fastest route - so you need shaping points to pin it to the roads that you want. Don't go mad - to keep the route from straying to a nearby main road in any particular part of the route, 2 shaping points are often enough - one at a third distance, one at two thirds. Its not a hard and fast rule, but a good starting point. Often you can get away with fewer.

The XT will probably recalculate at some point anyway , so 1.1 is probably the better option - with just enough thoughtfully placed shaping points to keep it on the roads that you want.

Display the track as well as the route. Always send a track as well as the route to your friends. Some prefer to use that and convert it to a trip.

(Post edited to make relevant to XT, not XT2)
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
sly
Great Britain

Post by sly »

I don’t have the xt2 just the Xt
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

sly wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:10 am I don’t have the xt2 just the Xt
Ah - sorry. Most of what I wrote applies to the XT as well. I've edited the post to remove the bits that were relevant only to the XT2. The rest is valid for the XT, and I have added a bit more XT related stuff.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

sly
Great Britain

Post by sly »

Thanks
sly
Great Britain

Post by sly »

When downloading files from MRA to the xt there is an option for the zumo. Should I choose GPX 1.1 instead of Zumo?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

sly wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:57 am When downloading files from MRA to the xt there is an option for the zumo. Should I choose GPX 1.1 instead of Zumo?
That would be my choice if I was restricted to MRA.

BUT v1.2 plots the route that you planned. Exactly. But you have to makes sure that the XT does not recalculate.

I use Basecamp so that I get the plot of the route. All route points via and shaping, a track and all of my own saved locations sent as Waypoints / Favourites in the XT

Don't get me wrong. I have lifetime gold MRA. Its good. The forum owner uses it. I just find myself using BC more.

colirv
Subscriber
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Because I share a lot of routes I plot them in Basecamp then load them into MRA. As often as not I find I need to add another via point to ensure both programs, and therefore most satnavs, plot the same route.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com