Recalculating Custom Routes, Yes or No?

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
menhir
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Recalculating Custom Routes, Yes or No?

Post by menhir »

When I load a custom route into my GPS from Basecamp, I'm often promted to recalculate when I bring it up on the device.
Not sure why, since both Basecamp and the device have the same matching up-to-date maps.

Related: If I draw up a custom route on Google (My)Maps or some other routing program, I could understand that I might have to recalculate since the maps may not exactly match the map on my device.
However, since I load these routes or tracks into Basecamp first to review and edit before I send them to my GPS, again using Basecamp to do so (I convert any tracks into routes first, also using Basecamp), why would there be a need to recalculate on the device?

For the record, the avoidances on Basecamp and my GPS match, and I always use the same mode (motorcycling) on both, even when the GPS is mounted in my car.

So...Do I choose Yes or No when it asks to recalculate a newly-loaded custom route or not?

PS: I'll probably have some follow-ups along this line. Please bear with me, and thank you. 8-)
Les
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Re: Recalculating Custom Routes, Yes or No?

Post by Les »

I'm sure I read somewhere that Zumo 660s and Basecamp don't 'like' each other (perhaps a Garmin Notification).

I don't like Basecamp so use Mapsource without any problems on my 660.
menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

Les wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:46 pm I'm sure I read somewhere that Zumo 660s and Basecamp don't 'like' each other (perhaps a Garmin Notification).
I've never heard that, but it's as good an explanation as any other. ;)
I don't like Basecamp so use Mapsource without any problems on my 660.
I still have Mapsource on my Windows Computer. I'll fire it up and see what happens.

I worked very hard to learn Basecamp over the last year and over previous years, but even with meticulous care and double checking, too often for comfort, something goes wrong in the process. My first day's routing of a long tour this year failed and continued to fail from the first turn. Even after I got home and review it, I have yet to determine what went wrong. I want to like Basecamp, but I don't trust it. It's too persnickety.
I'll probably keep trying from time to time, just because I'm too bloody-minded to give up. :twisted:
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 333 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have an XT, not a 660 but I often see the XT calculate a Basecamp created route during import. It doesn't ask, it just calculates on import when it thinks it need to. That is not a majority of the time though, maybe 20% of the time. I have yet to figure out why. I am as confident as you are the my maps are the same in BC and the XT, and that avoidances match as closely as possible.

My rule of thumb with the XT is to not allow it to recalculate if possible. Recalculation results in it loosing the breadcrumbs in the Basecamp route and calculating it own path from route point to route point.

If the 660 has the capability of showing a track on the map like the XT does, one thing I do is that once I finish the route in Basecamp, I make a track of it. The then transfer both the route and the track to the XT. I then show the track on the map followed by importing the route and showing it on the map. Any deviation is obvious if the track color is contrasting (I use black). Deviation means the device changed the route during a calculation. If all of this is possible on the 660 then you could do one test with a "No" to a recalculation and then one test with a "Yes" to see if you get different results.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Just because the Zumo says 'calculating' - it doesn't mean that it is recalculating the route. It has a lot if processing to do to get data saved in the locations where they need to be.
This takes a few seconds. Recalculating a route often takes longer.

However, Basecamp was modified to suit the later generations of Zumos that had the Trip Planner App, so that it could create routes that used both Via and Shaping points.

Having previously encouraged users to use Basecamp when I owned a 660, they had to 'remind' people with the 660 that it was not compatible, and Mapsource should be used instead. Mapsource doesn't use Shaping points.

Generally, Basecamp routes are processed correctly by the 660, but it is not 100% reliable.

Mapsource was the foundation for Basecamp, but you have to save the file each time you create or edit a route. It does have a 'rubber band' insert tool - but I can never remember how to access it. It isn't on the menu buttons.

The 660 doesn't like circular routes or figure 8 routes. And never put the end of a route where you start eg home. It will think that you have finished the route as soon as you set off.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 333 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:51 am Just because the Zumo says 'calculating' - it doesn't mean that it is recalculating the route. It has a lot if processing to do to get data saved in the locations where they need to be.
This takes a few seconds. Recalculating a route often takes longer.
Exactly. My 20% is definitely recalculating. The XT says 'calculating' but takes many seconds rather than the expected brief process of saving the data.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There's also the settingin Basecamp in Edit - Options - Device transfer. Make sure that they are all unticked.

If not, at least one of those will guarantee a route recalc. I dont remember an equivalent option in Mapsource
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

Interesting stuff to ponder. Thanks.
jfheath wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:52 am There's also the settingin Basecamp in Edit - Options - Device transfer. Make sure that they are all unticked.
I checked my Basecamp Device Transfer Options, and the only item still ticked on is:
Always match route to the map on my device when transferring.
I'll turn that off and see what happens.

I'll be riding the same commute for the next four days, so I'll experiment with Basecamp, Mapsource, and other options to see what works best and easiest.

So, tonight:'s experiment:
Funny thing...It appears that Basecamp will not import KML files (I'm planing my route with Google MyMaps, which exports only as KML) from the drop down menu, but if drag and drop the file into the My Collections folder it will show up properly as a track. I'll convert the track into a route using Basecamp (with all options unticked and no recalculation) and load both the track and the route into the 660 and see what happens tonight.
It'll be fun.

ADDITIONAL: I read on a forum that the Zumo 660 will automatically import the track and convert it into a route. Is that so? and if so, do I really need to take the extra step to convert the track to a route on Basecamp before I load it to the device?
Or is it just a good idea anyway to double check the route first?

I told you I'd have a lot of questions. You were warned. :lol:
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That item will always force recalc. So that is definitely a culprit. There could be other culprits too, of course .....

Middle question - kml - Basecamp can write them. I assumed it would be able to read them. I cant check. i'm not at home.

Track to route. It is an option. I cant say that i used it on the 660.

What you get is a magenta line that doesn't have any route points, but which will issue turn by turn instructions. On later models if you deviate from the route it will navigate you back to the closest point. That may be behind you - so it finds it difficult to escape from that scenario. But since I don't have a 660 now, and I never tried it when it was my favourite satnav, I dont know if the 660 behaved like this.

menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

My first test last night was a success. And an easy option.

Construct my two test routes with Google MyMaps
Export the routes as KML files
Drag and drop the KML files into Basecamp
Convert the resulting tracks to routes with Basecamp, and review for accuracy
Upload both the track and the route to the 660's internal memory (In this test, I just followed the route, though)
Select NO when it invariably asks me if I want to recalculate the route
and GO

Worked like a charm. Not a single error. On the first attempt. Boosh!

A couple of notes:
Some street names were not announced, but the turns themselves were correct.

I had auto-recalculate turned OFF when I tested the routes. I still have to see what happens if I turn it ON and deliberately go off route...
Will it totally recalculate the route and ignore the custom route, or direct me back to resume it? Don't know yet.

An unusual prompt showed up on one leg of one of the trips, stating I was off route and wanting to know it I wanted to recalculate.
It was in the middle of a five mile stretch of interstate with no exits along to whole length I was traveling. No other roads nearby, either. I selected NO because the map was displaying the route correctly, and it then continued to follow the planned route for the rest of the trip.
I've seen this happen before on custom routes, even on routes planned totally with Basecamp alone. Not sure why it does that.

Anyway, the above process seems to work well and is much easier to use than planning the entire route in Basecamp.