How do you shape a route that is made on the ZUMO XT2 using its Route Planner function.?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Sean OZ
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times
Australia

How do you shape a route that is made on the ZUMO XT2 using its Route Planner function.?

Post by Sean OZ »

For the time being, I've completely given up trying to get BaseCamp and other 3rd party planning software to work as intended on the XT2. I've now decided to firstly create the route on Google Maps, and then using the "Route Planner", on the XT2 I then manually add all the stops in that I want to follow along the route I first created on Google Maps. I've done a few short rides after planning a route using just the XT2 inbuilt Route Planer. So far so good. I can deviate from the planed route. The XT2 can calculate a new route if I deviate and doesn't appear to have any of the dreaded "RUT' issues.

I've got my head around most of the available functions in the route planner, but for the life of me, I can't get the "shaping tool" function to work correctly.

IE. I tell the XT2 that I want to travel between a point A and a point B (Stop and Start points) I then add in all the other stops along the way that I want to visit or just simply pass through, The XT2 normally does a good job of plotting the route, but sometimes it's not quite the route/road that I want to travel. For example, the XT2 might have plotted a road on the East side of a river, but I instead, want to travel on West side of the river, that is between 2 added stop points.

Apparently from what I've read and seen, your meant to select a segment of your planed route that you want to change ( IE; a stretch of road between 2 stop points) then you should be able to touch the map where you want that segment to instead follow. I can select a segment on the Route Planer Map screen. (Say on the East side of a river that runs between 2 stop points) I can then touch the road on I instead want to follow on the West side of the river. The XT2 then plots a new route following the West side of the river, BUT it also keeps the original plotted segment on the East side of the river and just adds the East and West side together as one route following both sides of the river in a loop.

I can't get it to completely "forget" and then remove the Easten side Road and instead just follow the Westen side road. Has anyone else come across the same "problem" and might be able to explain what I need do?

I'll be honest, I've only tried to shape the route here at home, not actually with the route running in real life. Mabey the planed route has to be actually "running" for the shaping tool to work properly???

Thanks in advance.
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Sometimes down, but never beaten. :-)
Treve
Been liked: 2 times
Sweden

Re: How do you shape a route that is made on the ZUMO XT2 using its Route Planner function.?

Post by Treve »

Why don´t You use BaseCamp together with XT2?! It works perfectly well.

I use BC with good result together wit my XT2.
Makes routs in BC
Convert the routs into tracks
Export both to the SD onboard XT2
Import both from SD to internal memory
Let XT2 make a copy of the route
Start the copyroute and if the rout deviate from the origin rout from BC I can see were it deviate from the track and may follow the track instead. To 95% its only minor deviations so far. I have used this proceeding for 4000 km routs throughout Europe this fall with my - at start - one month old XT2 in my possession.

I have also used the onboard route planer with good result. I agree there sometimes are little tricky to get it al right sometimes in the beginning. In the case you refer to I think it might help if you put a "stop" at the side of the river you want to travel.
I think most units are made to make a route from A to B and and the algorithm thinks that we should follow the routs that the unit propose depending on the settings we have done. During my 4000 km ride in Europe I came up to similar issues as You refer to. Then I simply used the screenmap as a map and made my way by the old school. Very handy when we several times unannounced reached a closed road (don´t use Tread). Then I DON´T allow the unit to recalculate in order to find my way back to the route. If You do recalculate - it will fore sure destroy the rest of the planed route. In fact I very seldom allow the unit to recalculate a route. You never know what happens with the route.

Especially with the topo-map enabled You have a good "papermap" in the box. You don´t always have to rely on the "Swedish Ingrid" an here prompts. The roads ahead on the map are most often very well market with there roadnumbers and its easy to follow the road signs by the old school. Here voice is thou unpayable in cities and lane changes out on the big highways.

Good luck
2000-2005 Yamaha Royal Venture XVZ1300
2005-2018 Honda GL1800 ABS 2005
2019- Honda GL1800 ABS Nav 2012
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Re: How do you shape a route that is made on the ZUMO XT2 using its Route Planner function.?

Post by Oop North John »

I'm very wary of planning a route in the XT2 as the faster roads problem skews the routing into illogical routes.

When I do use it, for example out on a days ride and decide to go straight back home, I know that almost certainly I'll have to insert a previously generated way / via point into the XT2 generated route to make it sensible. "Sensible" = sensible to me, ie it takes the least amount of time.
Treve
Sweden

Post by Treve »

I think - fore us newbies on XT and XT2 it´s a good thing to spend tree ore four evenings, reading this forum and especially follow "jfheath" in his bright conclusions. And out of that draw Your own conclusions depending on how You intend to use Your present units.

I built routes to my XT2 in BaseCamp with in my needs great success. I built the routs with starting and stop points. There between I almost only use shapingpoints in order to make the routs on roads I think are great motorbike roads. And to get rid of the problem that waypoints causes IF I decide to deviate from the route. If there are sights that i want to go to I have them in box as imported waypoints. When I comes nearby I stop the initial route and let the unit make the fastest rout to the waypoint IF I don´t think I can find my way by the old school. With the origin BC-track on map(transformed in to black in the XT2) its easy to get back to the route again and from there I start the copied origin route again - choosing "nearest starting point".

I think the on board planing routs facility on XT2 is a good thing when it comes to planing shorter routs when you are "on the run". Fairly easy to shape them in order to make the trip as You want it. One just must learn the significant steps that is needed. Trail and error are the only way. An hour ore two will do. The battery will last.

My conclusion is that I will not be TO dependent on the prompts from the "box". Trying to make the perfect rout with al intended stops planed in its minor details and slavish follow that - puts much to pressure on the "box" and diminish my spontaneity during our trips out in the wilderness. I use the routs made in BC as guidelines for our trips. From there I often use the excellent map-resorses on XT2 - navigating by the old school following road numbers and signs. It makes a sense of genuine presence when one travel through the landscape.

So far I am very happy with my XT2. Very bright screen, excellent maps, includes the Topo-maps i Europe and a real good battery life.
-The only severe issue are the fact that you can`t share data to other "boxes" with BlueTooth as one could with the 595 and others.
- The stupid TripAdvisor info shown at destination arrival. At least it should be possible to enable and disenabel.

Al the best to You al
Treve
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Treve wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:18 am - The stupid TripAdvisor info shown at destination arrival. At least it should be possible to enable and disenable.
You can, it might be in the Tread set up going from this thread. I know on my XT2 it doesn't show:

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2454
Treve
Sweden

Post by Treve »

By the way - I forgot.
I advice to play around with the option "adventure" in the rout planer. The four levels give at least two, mostly tree different rout options. Choose the one that best correspond to what You want. From that its possible to change the chosen route by adding shaping points. You may also ad "stops". It´s very important to relay notice witch "button" that´s present active in the routeplaner. Otherwise there may be very odd and abstruse routs. Its easy to make mistakes of that reason. Mostly it´s - as we say in Sweden - "mud behind the lever" when it went wrong.
Treve
Treve
Sweden

Post by Treve »

Thanks fore the tread-tip. "Oop North John". I have seen it but have´nt have the time yet to dig myself deep in that topic. Another evening at this forum is saved.
Treve