XT2 turns off and restarts

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
EZMotoTim
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: XT2 turns off and restarts

Post by EZMotoTim »

We have two Zum-XTs (not the newer 2.) During a tweo-week trip in May, each of the units spontaneously shut down. The problem may be a carry-over in the software from earlier units.
LFC09
Has liked: 7 times
Australia

Post by LFC09 »

replacement XT2 was received 5 days ago. Went for a ride on the weekend. Seemingly trouble free first half hour until unit restarted itself, this time coming back 'on' in the EULA screen. Restarted once more in the final 30min ride. Bluetooth and satellite connection then appeared to crap out.
Spoke to Garmin today (not the retail outlet). They had no answer but elevating complaint to engineers. Apparently most recent software was meant to fix this problem. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I feel your pain. I've got an original Zumo XT (purchased shortly after they were announced) which I use in "just show me where I am" mode most of the time on long rides. It will occasionally just freeze up and the only fix is to hold the power button until it reboots.

I got it swapped out by Garmin for another issue - too sensitive to raindrops hitting the screen and those drops being perceived as inputs - and figured maybe I'd be solving two problems with the hardware swap. No dice. It still just freezes up from time to time. Pretty frustrating.

Good luck with any possible software updates in the future though!
LFC09
Australia

Post by LFC09 »

cr0100 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:42 pm I feel your pain. I've got an original Zumo XT (purchased shortly after they were announced) which I use in "just show me where I am" mode most of the time on long rides. It will occasionally just freeze up and the only fix is to hold the power button until it reboots.

I got it swapped out by Garmin for another issue - too sensitive to raindrops hitting the screen and those drops being perceived as inputs - and figured maybe I'd be solving two problems with the hardware swap. No dice. It still just freezes up from time to time. Pretty frustrating.

Good luck with any possible software updates in the future though!
The XT2 is a replacement for the XT I had the exhibited the same problem you are describing with freezing. Mine would reboot itself after being 'frozen' for about 10 minutes. A replacement XT did the same. I had returned #2 for replacement when I noticed the XT2 was being released so went that way instead.
I will probably just stick with this XT2 in the short term, unless I manage to get into the city to have a look at a Tread.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

LFC09 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:24 pm although, I will try putting a 'pad' behind the zumo power supply to see if that pushes the pins forward a little further, just in case that's the issue.
Just for the test purpose, connect the unit via a USB cable to 3.0A USB socket and the 12v power supply. (No cradle, or cradle with blocked pins). Go on a usual ride.
lpop
Germany

Post by lpop »

I had the same problem, i guess since Firmware 3.80.
Since last week, there exist a Firmware 3.90 with the Solution: „Improvement of Device stability“
I had no time to test it, if this fixed the error.
LFC09
Australia

Post by LFC09 »

lpop wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:45 pm I had the same problem, i guess since Firmware 3.80.
Since last week, there exist a Firmware 3.90 with the Solution: „Improvement of Device stability“
I had no time to test it, if this fixed the error.
hope to get out on the bike today to test if this update has 'fixed' the problem
LFC09
Australia

Post by LFC09 »

happily report that update to 3.90 seems to have fixed this issue....
lpop
Germany

Post by lpop »

Cool. This bug was really annoying. Thanks for testing it and the positiv feedback.
jures
Been liked: 2 times
Slovenia

Post by jures »

This happened to me one day - it turned out that xt2 had 2 routes with same name on it.

Example:

I had under category ‘Barcelona’ a route called day1
I deleted route day1 and reloaded updated route day1 (updated in planner earlier)

It turned out that the first route ‘day1’ did not delete but just move to uncategorized. I did choose delete and remove!

So I had one day1 under 2 different categories and this made XT2 restart frequvently that day.

As soon as I deleted day1 from uncategorized it stopped