Tread app not syncing to XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: Tread app not syncing to XT2

Post by jfheath »

turbo19 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:54 pm In my case I have tried synchronizing my Explore information in all ways to my Xiami tablet. I have all my Explore information synced on my phone, and what I add syncs well. Not so on the second device (Xiaomi Tablet).
I had a similar situation - which I managed to get working again. Short version - break BT, Tread and Wireless conenctions except on one device.
(Its not a good solution for me - but it is where I am at preset - I want to use my ipad for the Tread map - but need to use my phone for synching. I'll get there. Eventually)

My thinking behind this.

I tried synching with my ipad as well as my phone. It didn't go well. It sort of worked, but not completely, and I couldn't work out what it was doing. Some data appeared, some didn't.

If I forgot the BT connection on one device AND disabled the Tread App on the same device, then it worked.

I think, and it is only a thought - but I think it may have some substance - that the Tread app on the device (phone/ipad) is able to communicate with the Main Explore Server over wifi. The Explore database and the XT2 must have some way of indicating that the data has been transferred - otherwise when the XT2 gets a new track, what is to stop it from sending it back? And vice versa.

So if the Explore database has a 'flag' against a track that it has been sent out to the iPad Tread app - then it doesn't get sent again. And my XT2 didn't receive it.

Try deleting the Tread App completely from one device. Also break the BT connection with the XT2 to that device And the BT connection on the XT to that device. ie forget the connections.

The on the other device - redo the BT connection and set up the Tread App to talk with the XT2.

I think that this may solve your problem.

I have yet to work this out properly, 'cos I use my phone with the XT2 , but the route planning is better on the ipad. I need a more robust way of dealing with it.

The only other thought is to check out all headings in collections - including 'recently transferred' and 'unorganised'
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
turbo19
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 5 times
Andorra

Post by turbo19 »

Exactly same problem for me.

also "I want to use my ipad for the Tread map - but need to use my phone for synching" I want the same.

Thanks and we will see if it is fixed with an software update.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Success - Tread on Ipad and Phone simultaneously

Recap. I want tread to be available for the phone / XT2 / headset connection. I want data to be sent from the phone Via tread so that the XT2 display weather / traffic information.
But the phone is too small for route planning using the Tread App. I want to use my ipad.

And if you read above, therein lies the problem.

But I have a solution that works. ie I can have all of the above, and I can also use the tread app to plan a route on my Ipad and have it synch to the XT2.

This is what I did - Bullet Points:
  • Removed BT connection between phone and XT2
  • Set up BT connection between iPad and phone.
  • Load Tread on iPhone. Log on using your Garmin account. Verify Tread works and you have theroute planning tool on the ipad
  • Destroy the BT connection between Ipad and XT2 - forget the connection on both devices.
  • Now connect the XT2 and the phone and Tread app by BT.
  • May need to close down apps on phone (swipe them off the screen) and reload them - and /or retsart the XT2
As an explanation of the above, I wrote:

The Ipad will not connect to the tread app unless you link the ipad via BT. So you have to do that first and sign into your account.
But after that, you do not need to use BT - so break the connection between the XT2 and the iPad. Forget it - it is not needed.
As long as you have an internet connection, the ipad will synch (upload and download data) to Garmin Explore database without needing to use BT .

Synchronisation between XT2 and ipad is slower - especially if a route is involved. This is because the route has to upload to the database before the Tread App on the phone can see it to send to the XT2.

But this works.

However - At first it didn't seem to work so I started trying things:
  • Close down the Tread app on the Ipad, and then reopen it
  • Close down the tread app on the phone.
  • Break the BT connection betwenen the XT2 and the phone (I turned BT off on both devices)
  • Reconnect BT between phone and XT2
  • Load up Tread again.
  • Reconnected the wi-fi to the ipad
I suspect that none of these actions were necessary and that all I had to do was wait longer or to to force the synch to take place on the ipad before forcing the synch to take place on the XT2. Maybe if I had waited, it would have worked anyway.

But whatever - it works now - I can use Tread on my ipad to plan a route without it being connected to the XT2, and it is synched with the phone and the XT2. And I don't have to set it up each time.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

adm
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by adm »

Thank you for this post.

I am a long time XT user, and just took delivery of my XT2 yesterday so am doing my best to learn it's quirks before I head off on a trip to the Black Forest next week.

I could never get the original XT to work with both my iPhone and iPad at the same time, but no big deal. I use MyRouteApp to plan routes normally and then send them vie Garmin Drive to the XT.

But after kind of getting my head around the XT2/Tread/Explore architecture, and having a little play with Tread on the phone, I actually thought it might be a halfway decent route planner in it's own right, but wanted it on my iPad for the larger screen. This would save me from taking a laptop away with me to plan and alter routes during a trip.

So I tried to get the iPad and iPhone both connected to the XT2, as basically Explore seems to act like a (clunky) cloud service for Garmin. No joy. I couldn't get the iPad to connect to the XT2 when the phone was connected. And I couldn't access the route planner part of it, which basically made it worthless.

But after reading your post, I now have a working solution. I can plan routes on the iPad and they sync wirelessly with the iPhone and XT2. Win!

It was a bit of a faff, but using your instructions, I did the following:

Delete all Bluetooth connections between XT2/Phone/iPad
Pair iPad with XT2 - install tread app. Check functionality - i.e. a route created in the route planner syncs with the XT2
Delete Bluetooth connections between iPad and XT2
Pair iPhone with XT - install tread app. Check functionality - i.e. a route created in the route planner syncs with the XT2
Check that RoutePlanner is still available in the Tread app on the iPad. It was. Create new route there and check it appears on both phone and XT2.

So, all working now. Thanks again.

My thoughts on this is that Garmin doesn't allow the route planner functionality in the Tread app unless it sees a valid hardware device - but it seems that it only checks once. So if you connect the XT2 to the iPad, that gets authorized, then doesn't notice once the Bluetooth connection is cut permanently and the authorization for route planner stays. So now you can authorize the phone and all is good to go....
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Wow - thanks for the positive response. Glad I submitted it when I did, and pleased that you got it to work for you too.
adm wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:11 am My thoughts on this is that Garmin doesn't allow the route planner functionality in the Tread app unless it sees a valid hardware device - but it seems that it only checks once. So if you connect the XT2 to the iPad, that gets authorized, then doesn't notice once the Bluetooth connection is cut permanently and the authorization for route planner stays. So now you can authorize the phone and all is good to go....
Yes - that is what I had assumed too. It needs to be confirmed that the ipad owner had a valid XT2, after which it doesn't bother checking again. So far anyway.

But the wait for synchronistation is longer than normal - as it has 3 separate transfers to make, rather than just one. You just have to be prepared for that. Ipad ---- (wifi) ---> Explore database ----(phone data)---->Tread on Phone ---- (Bluetooth) -----> XT2

adm
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by adm »

Mine seems to be synching fairly quickly.

With all the devices on and Tread running, I created a route on the iPad. It took about 10 seconds for that same route to appear on the phone, and then about another 8 seconds for it to pop up on the XT2.

I can live with that quite happily. It's probably down to cloud sync polling delays, I would imagine that each device checks every 5 or 10 seconds rather than continuously.