Tread app not syncing to XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
goranrider
Norway

Tread app not syncing to XT2

Post by goranrider »

Tread app and XT2 are connected and syncs. But only from the XT2 to the app. Routes on the app are not synced to the XT2. Why?

I’ve rebooted the XT2 several times. I’ve uninstalled and installed the app. No difference.

Attached are pictures of the app and XT2

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_8985.jpeg
IMG_8985.jpeg (418 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
IMG_8984.jpeg
IMG_8984.jpeg (399.61 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
IMG_8983.png
IMG_8983.png (411.16 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
IMG_8982.png
IMG_8982.png (180.17 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
IMG_8981.jpeg
IMG_8981.jpeg (483.21 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
IMG_8980.jpeg
IMG_8980.jpeg (449.55 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Sean OZ
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 9 times
Australia

Re: Tread app not syncing to XT2

Post by Sean OZ »

Garmin has really dropped the ball with the Tread App connection to a XT2. Nothing but complaints about how unreliable it is.

Most reliable way to get your personal routes to work correctly, (from my personal experience and reading other posts) is to use "BaseCamp" to plan the route and then send to the XT2, via direct cable connection between a PC and the XT2.

BaseCamp WILL notify you that it doesn't support the XT2, but just ignore the warning and go ahead and send your route to the XT2. There's a tone of tutorial videos on how to use base camp. Here's how I learnt to do it. The video series relates to the earlier Zumo XT, but with a few "tweaks" it will also work for the XT2. On YouTube search "Mapping and Route Planning for Adventure Bike Riders"
Last edited by Sean OZ on Mon May 13, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Sometimes down, but never beaten. :-)
goranrider
Norway

Post by goranrider »

Thanks for the reply. I can import via the SD card, and it works... I am now importing my GPX files into Explore on my Mac, then entering the explore app on the phone, and exporting to the Tread app, and it somehow works... So workarounds work, but not as intended with the Tread app in a easy way :(

Another problem is that when I copnnect the XT2 to my Mac, Garmin Express can see it, and I can update the GPS, but Finder can't see it, and I can't transfer files that way. Wtf?

GT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

goranrider wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:49 am Another problem is that when I copnnect the XT2 to my Mac, Garmin Express can see it, and I can update the GPS, but Finder can't see it, and I can't transfer files that way. Wtf?
In Finder, be sure to look for it as a removable drive or volume and not as a removeable/portable device. When my XT is attached to my Windows PC, the XT shows up in a file explorer at the same level as all other drives. It is actually listed above Drives C, D, & E, named something like "zumoXT".
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
marcmarc
Poland

Post by marcmarc »

I have the same issue. I'm absolutely blown away how bad XT2/Tread/Explore combo is, XT2 is basically useless brick for me. BTW I don't have the icon 'share to the device' when I click on track in Tread, so I can't even try to force it through BT.

I bought this crap being sure, that I will be able to EASILY share GPX tracks via BT from any application on iOS, but boy-oh-boy how wrong I have been. It's a shame that I haven't found this forum before buying this POS, because otherwise it wouldn't cross my mind to do it.

Yet another reason to believe that all the reviews are just paid / made by people using the device for 30 seconds.

How on earth is this a product on shelves is BEYOND ME.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FWIW, my experience with my iPhone, .gpx files, and the XT is that I first must save a .gpx file onto my phone (regardless whether received as an email attachment or downloaded). I can then open the Files app, locate the .gpx file, long hold on it, select Share, and then select the Garmin Drive app. The Drive app will then send it to the XT via BT. The process may be similar with the XT2 except, if you are lucky, you can Share directly from Tread to Explore which will then get it to the XT. This is just conjecture. I have zero experience with the XT2, Tread, or Explore.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
marcmarc
Poland

Post by marcmarc »

For XT2 they designed different experience, using the same old bluetooth, yet in my case there is no way to force export from Tread to XT2 (there is no icon in Tread to 'send to device'), only sync. And sync works erratically, as in OPs situation. I've found a workaround for files not being shared: rename them and try again, rinse and repeat. Really.

Before this issue I had to try several times to even pair phone with XT2, factory resets, reboots, uninstalling Tread, you name it. I don't even know what worked in the end.
steven71
Italy

Post by steven71 »

marcmarc wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:15 pm For XT2 they designed different experience, using the same old bluetooth, yet in my case there is no way to force export from Tread to XT2 (there is no icon in Tread to 'send to device'), only sync. And sync works erratically, as in OPs situation. I've found a workaround for files not being shared: rename them and try again, rinse and repeat. Really.

Before this issue I had to try several times to even pair phone with XT2, factory resets, reboots, uninstalling Tread, you name it. I don't even know what worked in the end.
XT2's design uses the same Bluetooth, but transferring files from Tread to XT2 is inconsistent. The sync feature is erratic, often requiring file renaming and multiple attempts. Pairing the XT2 with a phone is equally frustrating, involving numerous factory resets, reboots, and app reinstalls before finally working.
nigelpugh7
Has liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by nigelpugh7 »

Hi Guys,

I’ve just invested in the new Garmin Zumo XT2 to use on my Honda Africa Twin.

I can’t seem to get a proper connection at all to the Zumo using my IPhone 13.

It. Connects partly, but won’t connect to the threads app.

Is this the bugs in the app as mentioned above?
IMG_8613.png
IMG_8613.png (69.65 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
IMG_8612.jpeg
IMG_8612.jpeg (487.78 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
IMG_8611.jpeg
IMG_8611.jpeg (472.73 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 679 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums !

I think that your phone may be connecting to something else rather than to the XT2. Your iPad Pro perhaps ?

Take them both away from any other devices. On the phone, forget the Zumo. On the Zumo, forget the phone.
Take then both for a walk away from other devices, and get one to search for the other.

That may fix it - but you will need to check that the phone doesn't go playing away the next time it goes back into the house, preventing your XT2 from connecting. Remember - your XT2 will keep turning off if it doesn't have a constant supply, and it will break the connection.

But once established - my XT2 and phone connect first time every time when they see each other. And it will connect to other devices as well - but once it has its priorities right ....
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC