Changing from pc to mac

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Gidi Ferder
Been liked: 2 times
Israel

Changing from pc to mac

Post by Gidi Ferder »

Hi everybody!
I am considering to move up to a Mac computer.
A few questions:
1. Will it be possible to transfer the maps and routes from my PC without problems?
2. Should I download the maps from start to the Mac?
3. If this ☝🏿 Is needed will I be able to transfer the saved route from my PC to the Mac?
4. Is it better to use a Mac or should stay with the PC?
Thanx in advance!
Gidi
sussamb
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Re: Changing from pc to mac

Post by sussamb »

I'm not sure if JaVaWa's GMTK program will work with the latest maps but GMTK will easily transfer the maps if it does, otherwise you may need to bite the bullet and download them again.

As for your routes etc you should be able to export them all and import into BaseCamp on the mac.

Personally I'd stay with a PC.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

The Garmin XT is an Android device and is not natively visible when connected to a Mac.
I don't use Basecamp I use MRA and to transfer files to the Garmin I just export the files as .gpx from MRA to mt hard drive and then use Android File Transfer (free app just Google it) to move the files to the Garmin.

Edit.
With Android File Transfer I can see all the .gpx files that are on the XT so I assume that I could copy those to the Mac if I wanted to but I have never tried as those files are already in my MRA database anyway.

As far as Mac v PC is concerned that is is whole new world of argument. I've been using Macs at home for about 15 years and would not go back to a PC but I use a Windows laptop for work and have no issues with it.
Gidi Ferder
Been liked: 2 times
Israel

Post by Gidi Ferder »

Thanks guys. I have enough confusing info for the old fart that I am 😆.
I’ll stay with my PC and probably upgrade it.
G-Man
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by G-Man »

I've just bought an XT (u/g Nuvi)

I'm using an Ipad Pro to build routes using Kurivger. For some reason I found on exporting to the XT it didnt work, the XT would recal the route.
However once saved to the cloud. I found if I open the route up on my Andriod phone and export using the same parameters.

Finally using Drive on my phone to connect to the XT.
Opening the route on the XT App> Drive.

Seems to work so far.

Exported as GPX
Waypoints, Route and Add w/p =Few selected.
Esmarald28

Post by Esmarald28 »

Congrats on considering the switch to a Mac - you won't regret it. Transferring maps and routes from your PC to your Mac should be fine. You can transfer them via an external hard drive or a cloud storage service like Google Drive or Dropbox. Macs are known for their user-friendly interface and seamless integration with other Apple products. However, PCs can be more customizable and affordable. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and what works best for your needs. You can explore blog article if you need to clear your scratch disk without opening Photoshop on your Mac. I'm sure you will do well and good luck to you.
Last edited by Esmarald28 on Wed May 10, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

The databases for basecamp are compatible across the the two platforms. In the mac, the database is stored in /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Garmin/BaseCamp/Database/4.8.

In windows it is stored in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Basecamp\4.7

You can simply copy the files stored in that folder from your windows machine to the location for the database on the Mac and it will work just peachy. Everything you had in windows will be there.

I use both windows and mac for basecamp as the current basecamp on Mac OS Ventura is slower than hell when in 2D mode. You have to run it in 3D mode for it to be fast enough to be useful. If your primary use case is basecamp for your computer, I would recommend staying on windows until Garmin fixes the issue (I have reported it as a bug and gotten the usual "Did you reboot? Are you running the latest version? etc..."

I wish Garmin would have kept the same minor revisions. When both versions of basecamp were 4.7, I would keep the database on my NAS and point Basecamp to that location. Then I had an up to date database that worked seamlessly on both platforms. Since the Mac version is now 4.8, it creates a 4.7 directory under the 4.8 directory and makes a new database whenever I run up the windows side and does not update the 4.8 database anymore. Grrr... Used to be so seamless!