Congestion Charging Zones

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Powered2Wheeler

Congestion Charging Zones

Post by Powered2Wheeler »

I cannot find an overlay map to depict a city congestion charging zone. The Garmin XT device features a New Custom Avoidance/Add Avoid Area but is limited to highlighting two points on the map thus creating a square. That's a huge limitation as, for example, the congestion charging zone in London is not a simple Grid.
Any ideas?
jfheath
Has liked: 315 times
Been liked: 674 times
Great Britain

Re: Congestion Charging Zones

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the site.

I don't know - would it not be covered in avoiding tolls/fees ?

But I don't know how you would find out that informations without trying to get it to draw a route through a congestion zone area with avoid tolls selected. You could do this at your desk if you know where a few of the zones start and end.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 314 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Wow! I had never heard of a "congestion charge". I have now read about them in London and New York City.

At the risk of being repetitive, every day is a school day!
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Powered2Wheeler

Post by Powered2Wheeler »

jfheath wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:28 pm Welcome to the site.

I don't know - would it not be covered in avoiding tolls/fees ?

But I don't know how you would find out that informations without trying to get it to draw a route through a congestion zone area with avoid tolls selected. You could do this at your desk if you know where a few of the zones start and end.
Thank you for the timely response and yes, you are correct as the avoidances for tolls / charges can be enabled. But it may work for say a French peage or UK M6 toll but it’s not designed to highlight a zone.

The congestion charge in the UK (for the benefit of non-UK readers) is for a huge area of roads and streets often with parts of the same road toll free outside of the zone.

Oh well, it’s not the end of the world but definitely a nice to have. Even a simple POI file with co-ordinates of Zone signs on the perimeter of the zone would be helpful.

Finally these zones are in several UK city conurbations and are justified by politicians who feel they offset carbon footprint and reduce congestion. You decide but potentially coming to a city near you soon.
MotoToph
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

Virginia has these "Congestion Charging Zones". Except they don't call it that. They are Express Lanes that are tolled 24/7. They have a base (lowest) price and then the price changes if there is more congestion. Congestion increase=toll increase. They call this "Dynamic Pricing" and is said to be used to help manage traffic flows. Their words, not mine😁

The good thing is that motorcycles are always free!
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

This seems like the opposite strategy to employ if the goal is to increase the use of the express lanes during times of heavier congestion. Reducing the price of a good or service is the way to increase it's use, not raising it.

This is simple price gouging at it's finest. When you are in a worse situation, we will charge you more to get out of it.

Total bullshit and one more way to get screwed by the government!
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 314 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The I-77 Express Lanes north of Charlotte NC work like the Virginia express lanes mentioned by @Cgltd so I just did a test with my XT. I created two routes on the XT, both with a destination on I-77 north of where the express lanes end, one with toll avoidance enabled, one with tolls allowed. The XT routed off the express lanes in both cases. The express lanes would certainly be faster. Motorcycles are allowed toll-free so the XT in motorcycle mode should not recognize them as toll roads. This appears to be another XT anomaly.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.