Can XT Bluetooth to Rider and Pillion Packtalk Bold Units?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
DavefromDenver
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Can XT Bluetooth to Rider and Pillion Packtalk Bold Units?

Post by DavefromDenver »

Anyone try this?

David
jfheath
Has liked: 315 times
Been liked: 674 times
Great Britain

Re: Can XT Bluetooth to Rider and Pillion Packtalk Bold Units?

Post by jfheath »

I don't think that any device can pair with two other devices on the same channel, can it ?

But the Xt can pair with separate devices for navigation prompts, for phone, and for music.

Whether or not the headset can 'relay' the sound from one headset to another - I don't know, but I am interested in finding out. I am seriously considering a Packtalk Edge to replace my wired Autocom.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 215 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Yes it can but only for music streaming

The Tread series and zumo XT can be connected with two wireless headsets at a time. These devices will not create an intercom type headset network.

Two headsets can talk to each other if they support intercom mode.
SENA and Cardo are two examples.
Pairing two headsets to the Tread series or zumo XT will only support music streaming to both headsets if the headset does not support intercom on its own.
The primary headset will be able to use the VHF radio and hear navigation prompts and phone calls.
The zumo XT and Tread - Base edition require the Group Ride Radio (5.5") accessory (purchased separately) to use a VHF radio.
The Tread - Overland Edition, Tread XL - Overland Edition, Tread XL - Baja Race Edition, and Tread XL - Baja Chase edition require the Group Ride Radio (8" and 10") accessory (purchased separately) to use a VHF radio.
The secondary headset will only hear silence during those periods.
NOTE: Intercom support is limited to supported models within each brand. Only certain models from each brand support this.
DavefromDenver
United States of America

Post by DavefromDenver »

So, with Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo, the XT can stream music to both, and the mesh intercom function will still work? Pair rider iPhone to XT, leave passenger’s iPhone unpaired, or can it be paired to passenger’s Cardo unit as phone #2?

David
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 314 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Regarding music, I have a Bold Duo and its manual contains instructions about music sharing but I never got it to work. Volume was always way too low (music was on the XT). AFAIK, the sharing is between the headsets; the passenger headset is not linked to the XT. FWIW, music sharing was added to mine as part of a firmware update. Hopefully yours is newer and Cardo worked out the kinks. I suggest testing it, and yes, the rider to pillion communication still works, BUT, the voice directions and alerts from the XT are extremely disruptive to rider/pillion communication. It interrupts conversations and is slow to release control. I have turned voice directions off on the XT. Assigning priority to intercom in the Cardo config options does not overcome this problem.

Regarding phone, the passenger headset can be linked to their phone. I have tested it but my wife is not comfortable handling her phone while riding so I don't have any real world experience with it.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
MotoToph
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

Peobody wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:01 pm alerts from the XT are extremely disruptive to rider/pillion communication. It interrupts conversations and is slow to release control. I have turned voice directions off on the XT. Assigning priority to intercom in the Cardo config options does not overcome this problem.
This is my biggest annoyance with the XT!
Peobody wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:01 pm Regarding phone, the passenger headset can be linked to their phone. I have tested it but my wife is not comfortable handling her phone while riding so I don't have any real world experience with it.
Most everything can be done with via voice commands and/or the headset controls.
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
DavefromDenver
United States of America

Post by DavefromDenver »

Just to clarify, I wanted to know if anyone has paired each packtalk bold duo unit to the Zumo XT at once.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

DavefromDenver wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:33 pm Just to clarify, I wanted to know if anyone has paired each packtalk bold duo unit to the Zumo XT at once.
Maybe. I say 'maybe" because I just tried it with mine. One Cardo headset was already paired. The XT saw the second one and prompted for a PIN but failed to pair with the Cardo default PIN of 0000. I gave up at that point. I know that doesn't answer your question. Hopefully you will get a response from someone who has it working or who also failed at it.
DavefromDenver
United States of America

Post by DavefromDenver »

Thanks, P.

Anybody? Bueller? 😆

David
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The answer to your original question is Yes! Both of my Cardo Packtalk Bolds now receive voice navigation instructions from the XT. I don't know whether any of these steps are required but here is what I did.

First let me identify Cardo #1 as rider (me) and Cardo #2 as pillion (wife).
Also important may be that Cardo #2 has only ever been bluetooth paired to my phone for Cardo Connect purposes.

So, here is what I did:
1. On Cardo #1 I cleared all bluetooth.
2. On the XT I removed the bluetooth pairings to the headset (both headset and smartphone services)
3. I then paired Cardo #1 with the XT on bluetooth channel two as a GPS.
4. I then fired up Cardo Connect and setup smartphone services.
5. I then paired Cardo #2 with the XT on bluetooth channel two as a GPS.

Note: I have only tested the headset at my dining room table with the XT running a route in simulation mode.
Note2: This process appears to have solved the problem that I have had with voice navigation silencing mesh communications. I can't wait to try it out on an actual ride.