ZUMO XT / XT2 phone calls not working

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
joweyenb
United States of America

ZUMO XT / XT2 phone calls not working

Post by joweyenb »

Hi - I just bought a Garmin ZUMO XT2, but am guessing I am making a user error XT users can help me with as well.
I use the XT2 with an iPhone, on a BMW GS 1250 R, and a CARDO bluetooth enabled helmet. I set up the ZUMO, made all the bluetooth connections required, I can hear the music via the XT2 in my bluetooth helmet, I can hear the navigation instructions through my helmet, BUT no phone calls. Each time I attempt to make a phone call via the ZUMO, it switches to the iPhone for less than a second (so it does send a signal), but then just disconnects. For additional information, the ZUMO XT2 is properly bluetooth connected to the Tread app, bluetooth connected to the CARDO helmet headset, and the iPhone as well to the helmet headset. Can someone please help me, figuring out why the phone calls are not working? I have attached the screen shots showing that all bluetooth connections are properly in place. Thanks!!!
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
IMG_1742.jpg
IMG_1742.jpg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 333 times
United States of America

Re: ZUMO XT / XT2 phone calls not working

Post by Peobody »

One known thing is that the iPhone can not be connected to both the headset and the XT. It should be connected only to the XT. This means that for a Cardo headset, when you use the Cardo Connect app you must make the bluetooth connection to the headset, do what you need to do in Cardo Connect, and then disconnect the headset before connecting the phone to the XT (XT2 in your case). In simplest terms, everything flows through the Garmin to the Cardo.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
joweyenb
United States of America

Post by joweyenb »

Thank you so much!!! I spent hours and hours yesterday on this! It was driving me crazy. And you solved it in 2 minutes for me. Works like a charm now. Thanks again!!!
casbar
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by casbar »

Interesting. I am using an XT, Packtalk Bold and an iPhone 12. I have mine connected exactly as a previous poster says doesn't work. I have my iPhone paired to the XT and my Packtalk. Reasons being, I ride different bikes other than the one fitted with the XT, so have the phone able to take calls whatever I am riding. It has worked perfectly for the last 3 years, had the same setup with a BMW Nav V and VI and that worked perfectly as well. The only thing I can think is, I have both my phone connected to the Packtalk and to the XT as phone devices and not one as a phone and one as a GPS. Maybe it is because I am using an older original Packtalk, but who knows it works and I can take and make calls either using the XT screen or by using the Packtalk commands or Siri.
jfheath
Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I don't know about @casbar's experience. It may be due to the fact that only one combination of BT linked device is available for pairing whichever machine you ride. I don't know.

But I have the Packtalk edge. In order for the XT, Edge and phone to work properly, the XT must be in the centre of things. And equally important is that, as casbar said, the XT has to be seen as a phone, not as a GPS. This is because the XT has got to relay voice coming in and sound going out to and from the phone; from and to the edge.

Other configurations are possible, but they cut out things like visible access to phone book, visual notification of a call coming in, and the ability to call your hotel destination for the night from your XT screen. But it comes down to what each individual wants from their audio set up.

Eg I very rarely make use of 'Hey Google'. So I have never bothered with that except to see that it works. It also requires having the voice commands available from the lock screen - which presents a number of security issues !
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
joweyenb
United States of America

Post by joweyenb »

Thanks - I just set it up exactly that way, and it works as you described. If I don't set up the XT as a hub, phone calls won't work for me. Again, that is with a CARDIO FREECOM 4X, iPhone 14 and ZUMO XT2. Maybe other configurations are different. Thanks again, very well laid out.